We might be moving out of the city!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SophieLain127, Apr 21, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    So I talked with my husband and after looking at lots of small acreage property for lots of money we decided to jump full on into farming and start looking for real farm land. We've found a house on a 55.95 acre farm.

We're contacting all the proper channels to get a farming loan to buy the house and equiptment. We are planning on having a full acre dedicated to chickens, as well as another dedicated to pigs, goats, sheep and of corse cows and a few horses. The rest will be used for farming (pumpkins/beans/tomatoes/ squash/melons/etc)

I'm so excited I love the idea of living on a farm and of my daughter growing up on a farm. Away from the busy city. I just had to share the news with someone my family wouldn't understand and would try talking me out of it.

2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Now I am jealous! We do live in a very rural area, but we only have two acres. I would love to live on a farm!

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Wow, that's a big step! It's a lot of work, but it can be so fulfilling. Here's praying it all works out for you. [​IMG]

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Good Luck to you, that would be wonderful for you and your family!! We have sure enjoyed our 2acres, couldn't imagine having 56!! [​IMG]

5. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    A good chunk of the property we are looking at is some rolling hills. But most of it is nice fertile land. I grew up in the city and my husband grew up in the country and we have decided our 2 year old would benefit from some clean fresh air and some open running space. Thanks so much for your support.

I'm so excited!!!![​IMG]

6. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    congrats and best of luck to you. you will NEVER want to go back to the urban life. don't let the romance of the country fool you though. you are getting into a business and must have a business plan even if you're not financing the venture. have a backup plan and a backup for the backup. know your market, potential expenses, work the tax code, watch your fixed costs and debt load, get to know the folks around you and listen to what they have to say. i really can't think of a better way to live.

7. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. Since I will be living 2 hours from where I currently do. I've planned on making the trip once a week in order to peddle some of my goods to my family and friends. We've also discussed selling to some local farmers markets maybe.... I don't know we havent worked out all the details.

8. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    do formulate a plan of sorts with lots of flexiblity built in. Get to know the neighbors way in advance, even if the closest one is miles down the road. Farming is a culture all it's own. Welcome!

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

The debt you're gonna incur is worrisome in this economy, but I am excited for you anyway [​IMG]

Try to take out the least amount of loan as possible - buy used equipment, fix it up, build your own outbuildings, do as much work for yourself on getting the farm built as possible.

Hubby and I bought 25 acres two years ago, had one old milking barn on the property - otherwise it was a hayfield.

We now have our house, a "guest" house trailer, 4 chicken coops, barn, garage, various sheds and pens and such. We moved from the city, had NO farm equipment at all. We had to buy all our haying eqipment, etc... Luckily hubby had buku tools (he's a hardware guy) and experience in wiring electrical, building stuff, fixing engines, etc...

Don't try to do everything the first year - or even the second year. If you overload yourself you'll get discouraged fast.

Used equipment is great, if it is well built to begin with and not in crappy shape when ya buy it. All of our haying equipment is used even the tractor. About your tractor - make sure you get one the right size for what you'll need it for, otherwise you'll be buying another one in a year. Bigger is better than too small.

When you move, meet and greet the neighbors - develop those community ties, because you'll be amazed at the help and advice you'll get from those farm families who live near you.

Good luck and congratulations [​IMG]

meri

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    That IS exciting .. my hubby and I just sold our house in the 'city' .. and are currently living in an apartment in a rural sorta town. We bought 5.2 acres last year and we are about to build! woohoooo! In fact, the builder has our house plans now.. soon soon soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by