We might get geese. I have questions.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Moochie, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    We might get 2 pairs of geese to protect the chickens since I don't trust my chicken dog 100% being alone with the chickens 24/7. My dad says that geese will chase away cats, which is our problem at the moment.
    Will they do fine with chickens?
    Will they eat the same feed that my ducks eat? (it's a feed meant for all poultry, not a layer feed like for our chickens)
    Will they do fine with ducks?
    I have two parts to my front yard, which is divided by a driveway, and both sides are fenced, will the geese fly out?
    For pairs, should we get same sex (girls) or boy and girl?
    Is it difficult to collect eggs from geese?
    What are the gender names? (like drake for boy duck and hen for girl duck)
    What are some good breeds that will chase away cats (or any animal) but not us?
    I actually have a fear of geese, I was chased by 2 and nipped by them at a friend's house, chased me a good number of times around their hot tub. How early should we get the geese so this doesn't happen?
    What's a good egg laying breed?

My mother also wants geese so people won't enter our yard.

2. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    Will they do fine with chickens? Yes, if raised with them.

Will they eat the same feed that my ducks eat? (it's a feed meant for all poultry, not a layer feed like for our chickens) Yes.

Will they do fine with ducks? Same for chickens

I have two parts to my front yard, which is divided by a driveway, and both sides are fenced, will the geese fly out? No.

For pairs, should we get same sex (girls) or boy and girl? Your choice, if you want babies some day maybe get a gander, but otherwise 2 gals are good.

Is it difficult to collect eggs from geese? Don't reach in the goose, just wait til they lay them in a nest.

What are the gender names? (like drake for boy duck and hen for girl duck) Gander, goose

What are some good breeds that will chase away cats (or any animal) but not us? Africans can be nice to people, but really just depends on the goose and how you raise it.

I actually have a fear of geese, I was chased by 2 and nipped by them at a friend's house, chased me a good number of times around their hot tub. How early should we get the geese so this doesn't happen? Young as you can.

What's a good egg laying breed? toulouse, african, chinese.

They are great "alarm systems", will let you know when an intruder is near and if not penned will go "run them off".

Have fun!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Male is a gander. Female is a goose. On the ducks, the male is a drake and the female is a duck.

4. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Are geese good flock guardians? What will they chase off? I'm assuming that they wouldn't fare well against dogs, though, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by