We moved. Should I be supplementing with anything?

Sep 13, 2021
Central Arkansas
I was not sure what section to put this in but we'll roll with it. So yeah, we moved to a new house and we moved the chickens over tonight. They are now settled in and have food, water, and some fresh hay. Will they adjust fine? I have some hydro hen from TSC that I could give them for a few days. They are not laying eggs and are all in molt. I know this is definitely a question for the predator and pests section but I thought I would add it. We have cats around here. We are going to get rid of 2 and keep 1... if it gets along with the chickens. If they tried to get the chickens would they be able to get through the coop below? It has a dog pen wire bottom and a chicken wire top and sides. All doors are locked.Thank you for all the advice!

The Coop
20210321_105632.jpg

Pics of chickens tonight. Ready in the crate to go to their new home.
20211114_203853.jpg

20211114_203928.jpg

Cats can't get inside that, assuming there are no gaps. I didn't see any gaps in the picture. They can reach through it with a paw.

It will protect from bird predators. Almost every other predator can go through without slowing down much. Snakes, weasels, and rats can fit through 1" (2.5cm if you aren't in the US) gaps. Dogs, foxes, ect. can rip through the wire above the 2x4 edging.

That looks like a well-built frame for a chicken tractor. You should be able to replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth (minimesh if you are in Australia). You could use washers and trim board or just wire it to the frame.

Cats can't get inside that, assuming there are no gaps. I didn't see any gaps in the picture. They can reach through it with a paw.

It will protect from bird predators. Almost every other predator can go through without slowing down much. Snakes, weasels, and rats can fit through 1" (2.5cm if you aren't in the US) gaps. Dogs, foxes, ect. can rip through the wire above the 2x4 edging.

That looks like a well-built frame for a chicken tractor. You should be able to replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth (minimesh if you are in Australia). You could use washers and trim board or just wire it to the frame.
For healthy, grown birds/mostly grown birds no need to supplement them with anything, they'll be a little stressed at first but will get over it soon enough.
Thank you for the reassurance. It was easy to move it since it is a tractor. We just rolled it up onto a trailer. They were safe for the night. Here is the best pic I can get from my bedroom window.
20211115_072707.jpg

I am going to make a separate post but I was just going to go ahead and ask here. Does this hen have sour crop? Her crop protrudes and is very mushy. It feels like it is full of mash. If you think it is, what should I do? Also, not sure if it has anything to do with it, but my grandpa fed them popcorn a week or two ago. Never had this problem before.
20211115_163823.jpg

Attachments

• 20211115_163859.jpg
    20211115_163859.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 0
I have full grown barred rock hens which have grown up with cats, but at my place the chickens rule over the cats. They will steal the food from the cats bowl and chase away the cats. ;)

Back
Top Bottom