We need a 4H or FFA group for grownups

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HHandbasket, Dec 15, 2010.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

This is just a random thought/idea I had.

I think organizations like 4H and FFA are very, VERY necessary to the well-being of our youth and the farm-folk of the future, as well as getting kids started with basic information about the care and feeding of livestock. However, what if you're already grown, in your 20s or 30s or 40s or even older, and you discover that it's what you want to do? I just think it would be nice to have groups like that for adults to have hands-on learning about farming and caring for livestock, competing/showing animals, etc.

I'd join, for sure.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

A freind and I were talking about this very thing at work last week. He suggested some kind of work shop. I'm interested in where this thread goes....

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    The Extension Homemakers Clubs/councils & organizations like the Grange might fill this role in some regions. They aren't available everywhere, and they aren't QUITE what you are talking about, though.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Crazy I was thinking the EXACT same thing a couple days ago!!! I met a much younger 4h girl that shows rabbits and chickens and have been messaging her on facebook for info... lol! I'm so jealous that I can't go do those things! We never had those things where I grew up!!!

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    We sure do need one because we're all kids at heart when we start talking chicken with chicken folk.[​IMG]

6. salunra

salunra Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Cincinnati
    That would be awesome.

I am doing the next best thing.... Signing my kid up for 4H. He will be 5 this summer and eligible for 4H Cloverbuds [​IMG]

7. sekinkead

sekinkead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I would love to have something like this. I went through 4-H when I was young and loved it. Now my kids are both signed up and I live vicariously through them.

8. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Growing up 4-H and FFA were not things my father considered as
    important. My father was a great dad and I'm not slighting him. His
    own childhood in the depression era did not include these things.
    Work was all he knew. Dad gave us all he had to give.

But that is also the exact reason that I want my daughter involved
    in 4-H, FFA (next year) and other projects that involve her in this
    community...To be able to grow as a person in ways that I never had.

*Last year, her first 4-H year, her mother and I had way more money
    invested in daughters silkie chickens than they worth as chickens. But
    the investment wasn't really in the chickens...

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Yep. And we get to do it together.
    Quote:This is true as well.

The Kinder Major's got sixteen and counting.

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Well we had 4H and FFA in our community when I was growing up, but I had an "interesting" childhood, and belonging to groups and clubs was out of the question for us (long sad story that nobody wants to hear & I get a headache telling it LOL). Now in my late 40s, I wanna be a hobby farmer and wish I had had the background in farming as a youth--I feel like I've missed out on a lifetime of doing something I can really be passionate about. It's never too late to start, though, right? [​IMG]

All the more reason we need 4H and FFA-type groups for us older start-ups!

We do have granges here, and I know one of the granges out in Rio Linda occasionally has classes in canning, preserving, and other homestead-type kitchen activities but not farming or gardening.

Hehe wouldn't that be cute, though? Go to the country fair to check out the animal competition, and there's a new "Senior Citizens" category for people 50 and up who are just getting into raising animals and competing with them... I think that would be so much fun! When I go to the fair every year, I head straight to the animal exhibits to see what the 4H and FFA kids are showing and talk to the kids and their folks about their animals, and it just wakes something up inside me... I dunno what it is.

This old broad wants to farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by