We Need A Cure on Spaddle-Leg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hot wing stables, May 28, 2008.

1. hot wing stables

hot wing stables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    We have a 5 day old chick that has spraddle-leg and we tried band-aids and pipe cleaners but we can seem to get him to stop landing on his face [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

You have to do the band-aid pretty snug on their little legs. It was really hard to get it to attach with my little cochin...

I used this website & it did take two people to apply this correctly...

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

And within about 4-5 days, the chick was good as new!

3. hot wing stables

May 28, 2008
    thanks we'll try it out so far he's hoppin around the brooder [​IMG]

4. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

do you think this would help with a meat bird whose leg is giving out ? i have one that will have to be culled , unless i could try this ?

will prob just cull her , oh well.

5. hot wing stables

May 28, 2008
    well i was reading on one website that the older the chicken is the harder it is to cure... so if its pretty big you'd have to get a big band-aid that or put it to sleep

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  6. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

ha , they are 3 weeks ol;d and pretty fair size !!! i would use duck tape and see what happens ?

7. hot wing stables

May 28, 2008
    just make sure it doesn't go on her Hock

8. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    I have a 6 week old Cornish X that is spaddle legged. I started taping it at 3 weeks. I just use cloth first aid, 1 inch wide, tape and gauze underneath. Needless to say he is growing slower than the others but is getting around fine now that he is used to his permanent hobbles. Until he is big enough to eat, that is.

Good luck with yours!

9. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Using the bandaid method will work on a chick that's a week old?

I dont know for sure what is wrong with my chick. One leg is out to one side. Its like the elbow has turned outward. She holds that leg up and hops around on the other one. Is this a spaddle leg? or is her elbow permantly damaged.

I can move the elbow/joint to get the foot out in front of her, but the claw is still turned up a bit

10. hot wing stables

May 28, 2008
    well we gotta put the little chick down to sleep he cant eat or drink or walk at all [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by