we need a new shipping method! input needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joe17, May 24, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Since shipped eggs have been being handled worse and worse, we need a new way to ship. I was thinking on a different shaped box, foam/feathers, and more stickers. If you work at the post office, put some pointers on how you all package and ship. Maybe if we shape the box smaller, they would pile anything on top of it. The feathers/foam will absorb some shock at least. Do PO workers really look at the stickers?? Why do they x ray some packages?? Im sick of having bad hatch rates with shipped eggs. We need a whole new company that specializes in shipping hatched eggs!

2. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I work for different shipping carrier and unfortunately no, they aren't looked at often because speed is the name of the game. Smaller box, more packing materials, more space between the sides and the eggs. The only other solution is to ship them as quickly as possible which limits handling and less contact with other packages since most aren't sent at the premium level of shipping. Hope that helps!

3. arteacher

arteacher Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    I am working on my First summer with chickens but have raised quail and pheasants a long time. I have bought 6 or 7 dozen eggs and have 8 chicks! I have an idea.
    What if you shipped your eggs in Horizon bird boxes over night? It would cost more but I believe hatch rates would go up. I have shipped alot of lives and never had a problem. I doubt PO throws around Horizon live shipping boxes? I have shipped 3 and 4 hundred dollar pairs of birds and never had a dead one. Would it be illegal to do this?

4. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    hmmmmmmmmm............ you would have to pay like 50 bucks JUST for shipping though!

5. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Thats a cool and very expensive way to ship eggs! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by