We need a sticky about pests such as lice...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tala, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have previously treated my birds with poultry spray (premithrin stuff), and at another time Sevin dust, trying to be rid of the white colored lice, the kind that live on the bird not in the coop. After treatment the birds seemed much better.
    We processed a few roosters last night and they still had a few lice near their vents, so I guess I need to re-treat the birds that aren't scheduled for butchering.

I would like info about the pesticides, so I'm gonna do some searching, but it would be handy if we had a chart for different pesticides and dosages (like for pour-on and frontline and such that usually isn't labled for backyard poultry)

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A lot of the state land grant colleges/universities have that kind of information on their websites.

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:The lice may live on the bird but the eggs do get knocked off of the bird and therefor the birds' environment needs to be treated as well.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I did spray their coop, but I wasn't able to do a full change of the bedding at the time.
    They have actually been moved about 3 miles since treatment, so obviously some of the lice or eggs must have survived the poultry spray and moved with the birds [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yup, tells you what you're dealing with, but I already know how to dust a bird with Sevin.

I want to know about using Frontline, since I have it, rather than buying 2 gal of cattle pour-on.....
    I read a drop on the skin between the wings, but nobody said if they were using cat sized Frontline or 145lb dog stuff.....what I have is for 85lb dogs (Purple Frontline) so if nobody answers I guess it'll just be trial and error. I'll experiment on the extra roosters before I try it on my prized layers. [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yup, tells you what you're dealing with, but I already know how to dust a bird with Sevin.

I want to know about using Frontline, since I have it, rather than buying 2 gal of cattle pour-on.....
    I read a drop on the skin between the wings, but nobody said if they were using cat sized Frontline or 145lb dog stuff.....what I have is for 85lb dogs (Purple Frontline) so if nobody answers I guess it'll just be trial and error. I'll experiment on the extra roosters before I try it on my prized layers. [​IMG]

Tala, instead of trial and error with Frontline and not knowing its affects or dosages...ivermectin pour on is sold at jeffers livestock in the 250ml bottle and is currently on sale, the 250ml bottle will last you a long time and isnt that expensive. Then if you dont want to discard eggs, jeffers has the eprinex pour on 250ml bottle as well, I just bought a bottle of it last month, no egg withdrawal. If you decide against the ivermectin or eprinex, others are using Adams flea and tick spray. Check some of Lollipops posts for dosages or PM him, he's knowledgable on Adams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by