We need help from the experts...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gypsy767, Feb 16, 2015.

1. gypsy767

gypsy767 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia
    We have a new brinsea oct 20 with auto turn. We have never used an incubator before. The eggs from our buff orpingtons have been running about 90% (positively) fertile, we eat them almost every day and inspect each one for fertility. We loaded 24 eggs into the incubator 8 days ago, none older than 3 days which had been stored at about 55-60 degrees. During the 1st couple of days the temp in the bator fluctuated between 99 and 101 for short periods of time. I was able to get it adjusted pretty quick and it has maintained 99.5 since.

We don't have an hygrometer inside the bator but have added water several times. Once it was completely dry but couldn't have been for long. The bator is in a spare upstairs bathroom. We have a wood burning stove for heat. We have been adding humidity into the room by sitting cookie sheets filled with water on the counters. Also hanging a large damp towel across the top of the shower. We have a thermometer/hygrometer sitting on the counter about 2 feet from the bator. It holds the min.max reading from the last 36 hours and the room temp has ranged between 63/73, humidity 28/51. We know the temp is correct because we have 2 more thermometers alongside.The bator temp has maintained 99.5 at all times since day 1/2.

We just candeled the eggs at the end of day 8 with a strong light (long type police LED flashlight) and have 2 eggs that look like the pics of an 8 day egg and 2 that have little floating dots about 1/8 inch that float freely...the other 20 show nothing.

Based on my rather long/boring account, can anybody see anything we could have done differently...do you see any major problems? We left the eggs in the bator and will look again in 4-5 days and then discard all but the 2 that look viable. Hoping to not make the same mistake again (what ever it was). The other 20 eggs show absolutely nothing and we are CERTAIN some of them are fertile. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I never used the brinsea octagon models, I'm still using LGs so I'm no expert. It sounds like you did a lot of things right but I have a couple questions. The first is that are you absolutely positive the eggs were 90% fertile to begin with or the 20 you candled are not developed? The second question is about humidity. I use a wood stove to heat my home too so it can get dry in winter but the in the room I have my incubator in right now it reads 45%-50% humidity in the incubator without any water, but i still add a little. The only reason I say this is because it sounds like you've done a lot to get the humidity up are you sure it really needs it?

3. gypsy767

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Jedwards...thanks for replying.

I sure think the eggs are fertile...they look like this, with the bulls eye or as some say the donut look This is not my egg but a picture from this site.

[​IMG]

There was an obvious difference in the 2 that looked viable and the two with small spots and the other 20 which just looked clear...nothing dark or no spots of any kind...sure has us puzzled....????

Trying to keep humidity up: I know with the wood heat dries out the air...we keep a kettle of water on the wood stove all the time and it still get dry. We have tried to keep the humidity in the bathroom with the bator up and I don't think 28-51% ambient in the room is very high at all...we were concerned that it wasn't enough humidity. I have read a good bit about the folks who "dry hatch" with success and I think we understand about needing the higher humidity at lockdown/hatching to keep the membrane moist so it doesn't stick to the chicks.

We are pretty competent country folks and usually don't have problems with things...we do our research and think things through...but this one has us stumped. ???

Thank you very much for replying...we will continue to try and find the problem.

4. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Hmm I'm a little stumped too.. Before you discard all of the dud eggs, I'd take one of the duds out and do an autopsy to try and find some clues. Good luck!

5. gypsy767

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Thanks...we do plan to look at some eggs...

6. rambotex

rambotex Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Lufkin, TX
    If it's only the 8th day shouldn't they wait a little longer?

7. gypsy767

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Hi rambotex...thanks for responding. We are going to wait a few days before candling again and will go from there. But the 20 that are clear are VERY clear, unfortunately. When/if we decide to discard these eggs we will immediately set some more, but we can't think of a thing we would do differently. The temp on the incubator is already stabilized so won't have to worry about that so guess we will just put 24 more in the bator and see what happens...
    thanks again

8. gypsy767

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Porous and dark shells don't show much detail and can look like infertile eggs until day 10 when you finally see shadowing. Not all egg shells are equal. Nor are light sources for candling. I'm all about 500 lumen flashlights anymore and only candle day 10 and again day 18 to toss the quitters. OK. I random candle a few day 14 to ensure air sack development are still on track- adjust humidity if needed.

10. gypsy767

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia

Egghead...thanks for replying. I am certainly not going to toss the eggs until I'm sure of what's going on...at least until day 14/15. We are SOOOO disappointed because we thought (still think) we did everything right. I don't know what else to do...I guess if these do not work out we will just set another clutch and see what happens. But you know the old axiom....repeatedly doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome... :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by