1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We need help! Moving air cell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Namaste Mama, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    My son is trying to hatch eggs for his boy scout badge and we got some lovely eggs in that the post office hand managed to smash one that was well packed. We couldn't find cracks in any other others so we stuck them in the bator. Now we candled 4 tonight, 3 we couldn't even locate and air cell and one the air cell was moving? Also I just found one that looks like a tiny bit of egg white leaked out of a pin hole and then dried? Is this egg good? Dose any of this sound right? Thank you hatching gurus for any help you provide![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    the one leaking take it out now! and what day are you on? and what breed egg is it? what have you got your humitdy at? and temp at?
    william

3. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Oh sorry, they are Buff Orps, a mix, and a couple Marans. Temps are 100 with 52% humidity in a still air bator.

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    If the eggs are brown, you may not be able to clearly see the aircell, I would leave that one in for now, the moving air cell is likely scrambled, but if it is not leaking, no harm to leave it in for now to be sure.
    If you are not seeing chicks, I assume you are very early in to this hatch, just jang in there. But yeah the leaking one should be removed

5. william9792

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    what day are you on? if before day ten you may not beable to see though dark eggs, i aways wait till day ten, and candle on day 18 also. sounds like your temps are good but i incubatat at a lower humitdy (days 1-18 at 35-40% and day18-21 at 50-60%) on day 18 after moring turn i stop turnning the eggs and bring humitdy up, that way it gives them a chance to turn in shelland get ready to pip. my reason for lower humidty is they need to lose 14% of there moisther in the eggs over the 18 days or they will drown at pip and not hatch. hope this has been helpful william PS what kind of bator do you have?

6. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    [​IMG] Ok took out the leaky one. I'll just leave the rest. I have other eggs that I am hatching that were started last week the I can see the air cell etc, with no issues that are brown and even a couple EE eggs. I can even find it in the Maran eggs, now thats tough. So thats why I was worried.

7. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    I have a little giant. I set on Friday, so I would just be finishing up day 4? I think? I know some people say to go with the lower humidity, but I noticed that people in a dryer climate like mine seemed to have better success with a bit higher and the people who recommended a lower humidity were in state with higher humidity. So my little theory is that dryer paces might need a little higher humidity. Of course I could be totally wrong, and some one please correct me if I am!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  8. william9792

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    a nother reason i go with a lower humitdy is i have never seen a broody hen that had over 40% humitdy under her, not to say it don't work at high humitdy, but think like mother hen. because she get off of the eggs to feed and water, for day 1-18, and the last three she don't come off the eggs at all that is why i think the humitdy goes up the last three days. just a thought. and i had a hatch today and set 36 eggs and 35 hatched ( that 99% my way) my last two hatches were 100% [​IMG] just a thought william

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Namaste,

We should be hatching about the same day.

Sounds like temp and humidity are about right... glad you got the leaky one out.

Candle at day 10 and then leave them alone until day 18 unless you are hand turning.

I forgot, where in AZ are you?

10. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I hope you and your son both have successful hatches!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by