We need some answers, please!

Here's a pic of their coop, guard dog Kaylor included :)

The doors open up to give them sunlight during the day when we don't let them in their outdoor pen because of the weather here right now.

Right now we're just feeding them Dumor Poultry layer feed with oyster shells. We also feed them some dry meal worms we purchase from TSC every once in a while as a snack. They love those meal worms.

Last edited:
Most layer fed is 16% protein, which is the least amount they require. Flock Raiser is 20% and good for molting, but requires oyster shell for extra calcium on the side. A 24-26% gamebird feed is good to feed for a protein boost when using layer feed. A well balanced feed should make up at least 90% of their diet, besides an occasional treat or scratch grains. There are different types of lice which affect the vent area, under the wings, or feather shafts. Lice eggs are easy to spot. I would not treat for lice or mites unless I saw them. Some mites will only come out at night. I would look at the links above to know how to spot them and lice eggs.

2072679585_Big.jpg
Laura_E_John-22.jpg

Lice eggs Mites

Last edited:
I only tried Dumoor feeds one time. Before I was done feeding the first bag, my hens laying decreased and they just did not look as good as they usually did. Maybe you should try another brand of feed. One with a higher level of protein. Meal worms are a good treat.

We've only ever fed them Dumoor since we've owned them, almost 2 years now. We'll switch up their food and be sure to add in more protein. What would you suggest is the best kind of protein food for them to purchase?

We'll also go out in a few hours and check under their wings and vent area for lice/mites. They're probably so sick of us by now, but we want to keep them healthy and do what's best for them.

HI,
Poultry Drench may help also.

I too had Leghorns and their plumage did fall behind some of the other girls.

Back
Top Bottom