We need your help-Got another letter from the town

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by perfectly_polish, Jul 11, 2008.

1. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    It seems lately that towns are cracking down on us chicken owners, and I guess it's my turn. I got a letter a few months ago from the town, and we called explained to them we didn't have our sheep anymore but had chickens that we used for show, and were pets. They said fine and they would get back to us. Well they never called back, but today we got a cease and desist order from the town. We are going to fight it, we will not get rid of our chickens, they mean everything to us. I need help from everyone who's had to fight their town and won. We are determined to keep them, and if we lose then we plan to move out of state, we've been wanting to get out of CT anyway, we're just sick of it.

2. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    No advice or help for ya.. just wanted to say sorry that you're going through this. That really stinks. [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, first you need to check what you are allowed to have. Then are any of your neighbors keeping livestock pets?
    Gosh I feel bad cause I know you have a ton of chicks coming.

4. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Thanks, I really hope we win this thing, we're even thinking about getting a lawyer.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Contact Sea Chick. She did a full campaign and got her city ordinances changed last summer.

6. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:I read our laws on farm animals, and it states that a farm animal is any animal that produces food or fiber. Yes, our chickens produce eggs, but that is just natural. We don't use them for food or fiber, just pets and show. I really don't have any neighbors but I do know of a lot of people who keep chickens around me, and haven't had a problem..yet.

7. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    I am not an attorney and this is not legal advise, but what about such defenses as these:
    1. You raise the chickens for food (eggs) and taking them away from you would hinder your access to affordable, local, healthy food. See the term "locavore."
    2. The chickens must be allowed to stay with you as part of a reasonable accomodations provision under the ADA rules. That is, they help to calm you and lower blood pressure, relieve potential stress and mood disorders. I'm stretching here, but I do know of an individual who successfully used chickens to reach an emotionally unresponsive foster child and could have used such a defense.
    3. The birds aren't chickens. It is up to the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you have violated the law. Can they prove that your birds are in fact chickens biologically and therefore illegal? Would they care to go to such an extent? This defense might not work if you have already admitted that they are chickens.
    4. Admit that they are chickens, pay the fine, and keep the birds. What is the worst that could happen? Maybe they can't even take the birds away. You might look into your local laws to find out the maximum penalties. Your city or county clerk can help with this.
    5. Talk to one of your city or county officials about changing your local laws to allow a small number of chickens to be kept by responsible owners. It may sound like an uphill battle, but it was done in my town after a good fight!

GOOD LUCK!

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm asking about your neighbors because if your neighbors have them, you are most likely able to file a variance with the town, since you are entitled to be able to do what your neighbors do.
    I think I would go to the town and just talk to someone about what your options are.

9. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    That stinks worse than chicken poo! Why is it that people can keep everything from ferrets to snakes as pets, but chickens are taboo? My BR is as worthless as my dog, and I love them both.

In my community you get one warning, then they seize your chickens and take them to the animal shelter for adoption. Don't wait - start your response asap.

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:well , when we started with our chickens I called the City and ASKED point blank about City Ordinces FOR or AGAINST , and they told me I could have ALL I wanted in the city as long as they were either in cages or in a fenced in area . Also , area MUST be kept clean and NO smell reported or we'd have to get rid of the flock . SO , we have a 12 x 32 run in same area of their coop for our babies and they are happy .
    Glad we checked before getting attached and hooked to them . SO SORRY you are having to fight to have PETS on your own property . SAD huh ? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by