We now have 2 roosters!

hazelville

Chirping
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Portland NW
We integrated 8 new chicks (we got them the end of March) to our flock of 11 with one rooster a couple months ago and have discovered that one is a rooster. That might be why the new 'herd' hasn't fully integrated. We got the 1st rooster to help with the pecking and it has worked but now with the new birds we weren't sure why he was keeping them away from 'his' hens and now we think that is the reason.

So the question is which one do I get rid of? I'm thinking that keeping the young one would make them all get along better but not sure so asking. My wife likes the older one because he's so good looking and he has a good crowing where we haven't heard the young'n yet

Thanks for your time!

You might want to rethink that. The usual ratio is 1 roo to 12 hens. I might take a little longer for the roos to work out a pecking order. You need a couple more hens and they should both be happy. It's chicken math.
lau.gif

Quote:
well so far you have 17 hens and two roos, egg fertility wont be that good. So if you want good fertility I would recommend getting more females OR get rid of some of 2 of your young ones ( 2 pullets and 1 roo )

I have 3 roos, and 16 pullets...I had "try outs" and now I have the winner. The one who showed the lead rooster behavior has come to the fore front. I will be keeping a #2 back up, they seem to get along great, and I do have enough pullets I believe. They are all 16 weeks, so I have a little time to tell if I need to get rid of one more rooster...good luck!

I currently have 4 boys and 10 girls. I would like a to add a couple more girls, but there's still gonna have to be a change in the ratio here.

Maybe I'll have to do like JodyJo and toss a couple of pool cues à la Joker into the coop and say "We're gonna have tryouts!"
big_smile.png

I should have mentioned that I am not interested in fertile eggs. We are only raising for the eggs so not interested in hatching any baby chicks...

So, anybody? Keep the youngster or the older guy who isn't excepting the 7 new ones which may be due to the 8th being a rooster.

Thanks Country Heart:D
It's really hard to tell because the new roo is kept a bay by the older one and I have not seen him trying to mate. He's only about 5 months old and he keeps the 7 he grew up with all together but again, it may not be by choice and they don't look any worse-for-the-ware though one of them doesn't have tail feathers but I don't know who did that.

Back
Top Bottom