We Officially Have A Broody Hen

cearalyn

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2015
morrisdale pa
we have a broody :cd hen thats been sitting on 9 eggs for about 2 weeks now. we r so excited :yiipchick to watch our hen hatch :jumpy by herself. if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appriciated. this is our first hatch. :D :ya

I'm new to the broody thing since this spring.

My two pieces of advice would be:
1) Let her do her own thing...they seem to know what they're doing and seem to be successful.
2) Make sure when they start to hatch that she is good with them. I had a baby pecked and bloody when I got home a week ago and I while I didn't know what had went down, I took him from the hen he was with and have him inside. He's healing nicely but I'll ne sure to be around when this particular hen hatches again. But this is the only incident out of several broodies.
Can't think of anything else. Best of luck with you hatch!!
thumbsup.gif

thanks and she is doin so great with her clutch of eggs so far cant wait till they hatch could be any day now not sure wen she started sitting and cant get near her without getting pecked haha so we just leave her alone

woot.gif
That's exciting! Hoping for nice, healthy babies.
jumpy.gif

I've got one broody who's pretty angry about me doing anything with her. I slip my hand over her neck and she can't peck me in case that helps. The rest of my hens lay eggs in the nests so I lift every broody girl up everyday to collect them. I've been really lucky that they're so easy going.

Please keep us updated. Love to hear how everything goes.
yippiechickie.gif

Think about what you'll do if you have a broody like my last one. She loved sitting on eggs, appeared to be an excellent mother, then started killing the babies as they hatched. I grabbed the last egg and popped it in the incubator and it hatched the next day. Not sure what I would have done if I didn't have an incubator. (Obviously she won't be allowed to sit again!)

Not saying it will happen to you, but it wouldn't hurt to borrow an incubator to have on stand by, and have the parts available to put together a quick brooder box if you have to remove the chicks.

Better safe than sorry.

Of course, everything will probably be fine and you won't need it - just something to think about!

Think about what you'll do if you have a broody like my last one. She loved sitting on eggs, appeared to be an excellent mother, then started killing the babies as they hatched. I grabbed the last egg and popped it in the incubator and it hatched the next day. Not sure what I would have done if I didn't have an incubator. (Obviously she won't be allowed to sit again!)

Not saying it will happen to you, but it wouldn't hurt to borrow an incubator to have on stand by, and have the parts available to put together a quick brooder box if you have to remove the chicks.

Better safe than sorry.

Of course, everything will probably be fine and you won't need it - just something to think about!
X 2 Good advice, I definitely agree.

My little OEGB roo is just healing nicely from his eventful hatching.
He might not be here if I hadn't checked right then.

Luck favors the prepared.
thumbsup.gif

at the begining of spring we got a bunch of peeps (they r pretty big now) from rural king and bought a tote for a brooder so thats ready to go as soon as she hatches if she or any of our other chickens get mean. we have 48 hens 2 roosters 4 ducks and 4 turkeys lol

Back
Top Bottom