We put a metal roof on the coop, and then HEARD the rain!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Autumn Mama, May 8, 2009.

1. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    I'm curious to know from anyone who has a metal roof on their coop, do your chooks seem to mind the very loud pitter-pattering of rain? We're in the PNW, we get ALOT of rain!!!

I heard the rain on the coop roof a few days ago, while taking out my compost, and it was sooo loud. In an annoying way, tinny sounding. If it drives me nuts, how about the chickens? I really want their mental health to be considered here, as they have to call whatever we build "home". I don't want to be creating an unpleasant place to live in, due to excess noise.

Did any of you insulate the metal roof to alleviate the noisiness, and if so , how?

Thanks for sharing any ideas or feedback!!! [​IMG]

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I have a tin roof on the coop and I can't imagine that it matters to the birds. Actually, I've never seen a coop that didn't have a tin roof, so I'm sure the birds are largely unaffected by the sound.

Most folks find the sound soothing and rhythmic, but its apparent that you do not. However, making the mistake of thinking that chickens think like humans is one that I see on here often. We can't really attribute chickens with human emotions and reactions, as this could drive one crazy!

Do you like sleeping on a roost? They do. Do you like having to be chased down, stomped upon and bred quickly? They seem to tolerate it just fine. They also don't seem to care about walking in their own excrement, but I'm sure we would find this disgusting! Would you like some rooster crowing right next to your ear at 4 am? The hens seem to like it just fine and don't become emotionally traumatized, even though it happens each and every morning of their lives!

We really can't guage what the sound of rain on a tin roof would be like for a chicken because we are not chickens.

I wouldn't worry about it...... [​IMG]

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    our coop has a tin roof and it dont bother ours

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i wouldn't think chickens mind. mine don't seem to be bothered much by it but they certainly HATE getting wet!

if you must, although i don't think it's necessary, you can insulate the roof. not sure how you'd do that though. don't use fiberglass, it might be bad for your birds. use Styrofoam.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:well with some people you never know [​IMG]

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Oooh you wouldnt thank me for my feedback, so Ill just leave this alone.

You might want to re-roof with tarred felt. Less noise.

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:well with some people you never know [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I don't have a tin roof on my shed, it's built like a house, insulated even - and the rain sounds just like it would in your bedroom, all nice and soothing. I know they're chickens, but a constant tinny drone is disconcerting to anyone - if you can line the roof with something I would. But that's just me.

9. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Here in Ga weve been getting a lot more hail than we usually do here lately. Like out here at my place they were getting the size of golf balls and some bigger! I stood watching from my back porch wondering what the chickens were thinking about all this living under a tin roof.

My hens probly spazed out and hid under my rooster. But they do that anyways..

Something like that they may not fancy but I think they are use to the good ol rain..or will in time.

I find the sound of rain soothing myself. I listen to it everynight on a recording [​IMG]

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    My coop is a wood box with a metal roof above. The roof almost amounts to an umbrella.

The box is fully insulated so there's plywood, fiberglass bats, 2 by 4 studs, and another sheet of plywood between the interior and the purlins under the metal roofing.

The structure is small (7' by 7.5") and the slope doesn't amount to much. I don't worry about wind getting under the roofing and blowing it away. The purlins are 2 by 4's and attached to the coop with deck screws.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by