1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We put them out today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bethandjoeync, Apr 24, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    well we put our little ones in the coop today. they are 5 weeks old, have most of their feathers, and were way to small for the brooder/kennel. our coop was a shed in behind (but connected to) the garage. it had lots of shelves ( most of which were taken down to prevent any injury of the older girls) but one shelf that was along the back wall stayed, and we put fencing up and closed it in. so the little ones are in there now. it was nearly 90 degrees today and will probably only get down to 55 or 60 tonight, so I figure this weekend is the best to get them out and clean up all this dang dust! we were so ready to get them out of the house, but now I (beth) keep thinking about them, and miss the constant peeping heard from the spare room we had them in. but we put a baby monitor out there to help keep an ear out for them. the older girls can't get to them, but they can be around them and start getting used to them. they have all done quite well so far. we have been taking them out there to get them used to the area all week, and the older girls have had a chance to peck at them and show them whose the boss. I don't know how well I will sleep tonight, but it might not be too bad considering I'll be able to hear them on the monitor, and of course constantly going and checking on them. now, we are thinking of the next batch we want to get lol. I'll have to get pictures of them tomorrow and post them

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on having an empty nest. [​IMG]
    I bet you'll be surprised to find how much they thrive now that they are outside for good.
    As much as we love our fuzzy butts, they truly are livestock and they do so well with all the fresh air and sunshine they can get.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Ours just went out a few nights ago. They are doing very well! It does get better AFTER the first night. OK, well never mind. The first night we brought them back in. After the second night, it got better! Good luck!

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    We put our 5 week'rs and our 8 week'rs out today in their new coop. It was almost 90 today and the low is supposed to be 55. They have a heat lamp in there but when hubby went to check on them he said none of them are even near it.

I wish I could say that I miss them but I don't.....I got some Silkies and Polish chicks today!! LOL

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by