We ran out of mayonnaise

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KickenChicken, Dec 20, 2009.

1. KickenChicken

KickenChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Vista Ca
    I ran out of mayonnaise and realy wanted to make a tunna salad sandwitch. Although I could have gone down to the store, my wife and I decided to make some, and used this recipie I found on-line http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/saladdressings/ss/mayonnaise.htm we used two egg yokes, two cups of oil and one limon. We used an electric mixer and to took all of 10 minutes to make. And the sandwitch was great

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  3. KickenChicken

KickenChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Vista Ca
    I would like to try hers with the whites included and see if can get a whiter mayo

4. BedHead

BedHead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Alberta
    I made mayo using the Nourishing Traditions recipe and it was REALLY good! When our kids have all flown the coop I'm going to make it and not buy it. Right now I couldn't keep up with the demand! We have two boys 18 and 20 and a 16 year old daughter.

5. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    1 pint mason jar
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp lemon juice

Place everything in jar and fill with olive oil to just below the shoulder of the jar. Insert hand mixer with whipping blade, push to bottom, turn on high and slowly raise to top.

Haven't bought mayo in YEARS.... since i got that hand mixer actually, 6 years now? Though on occasion hubby does beg my mom to send him some Duke's mayo [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:I have only ever made small amounts; enough to use at one sitting. I am curious with your jar full method; does it keep in the frig for a day or two?

7. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Usually keeps for a week to 2 weeks with no problem, just make sure you put in in the door where it's warmer, otherwise the oil wants to set up a little. After 2 weeks it starts tasting off according to hubby (I am not a mayo person [​IMG] )

8. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    We always make our own mayo! DH prefers it with olive oil, but that can taste kind of strong and bitter to me. I like it better with an olive/grapeseed blend. It is so easy to make and not loaded with garbage!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by