We received a letter :(

happyhomemom

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 19, 2012
We received a letter from Gerrish twp. It asks us to remove all of our chickens and chicken equipment with a copy of our local zoning laws attached. I am sending them a letter stating the Michigan right to farm act. We have been letting the girls out to roam and a neighbors dog has been coming on our property trying to kill them. I am almost sure they are the ones that called on us. Can someone tell me how to obtain the complaint using the freedom of information act? We will no longer allow them out to free range. My letter sites the RTFA and says I am complying with GAAMPS. I also mention it is a family farm and I sell my eggs to friends and family. Is there anything else I need to state clearly in the letter? Thanks for the help. We love our girls and know many families in our rural twp. that have chickens so hopefully this will not be a tough fight.

You don't mention what the zoning laws address, but that would be the essence of formulating any rebuttal. If the right to farm act and the other tend to trump the ordinances, then specifically listing these by item might be appropriate.

If your place is an actual farm, is it zoned as such or has it just been colloquially used as a farm?

It seems to me that starting to deal with laws and such would entail making sure the terminology is accurate and appropriately suits the intention.

It seems that there are many things to evaluate.

Chris

No we are not zoned farm. We live in a residentially zoned subdivision. Everyone in our subdivision owns at least 10 lots. We own 20 lots. They say we cannot have chickens because the ordinance says no chickens in a platted subdivision. We only have 10 girls.

If the dog from the other house is coming to your property to harass your chickens, then you have the right to shot that dog to protect your livestock.

I had neighbor's dogs come to my property and chase my chickens I already past the word the next time I seem them on my property I will shot them dead, so far they have not come back.

If the dog from the other house is coming to your property to harass your chickens, then you have the right to shot that dog to protect your livestock.

I had neighbor's dogs come to my property and chase my chickens I already past the word the next time I seem them on my property I will shot them dead, so far they have not come back.
First, depending on state laws, and I do not know Michigan's the OP may or may not have the right to shoot the dog. Second, even if that is legal, discharge of a firearm in a residential area is almost always illegal, and certainly is dangerous

We received a letter from Gerrish twp. It asks us to remove all of our chickens and chicken equipment with a copy of our local zoning laws attached. I am sending them a letter stating the Michigan right to farm act. We have been letting the girls out to roam and a neighbors dog has been coming on our property trying to kill them. I am almost sure they are the ones that called on us. Can someone tell me how to obtain the complaint using the freedom of information act? We will no longer allow them out to free range. My letter sites the RTFA and says I am complying with GAAMPS. I also mention it is a family farm and I sell my eggs to friends and family. Is there anything else I need to state clearly in the letter? Thanks for the help. We love our girls and know many families in our rural twp. that have chickens so hopefully this will not be a tough fight.
I think there was a recent court ruling that clarified your rights? It would probably be listed in the Michigan Right To Farm Act thread. Anyways, that and other supportive rulings would be appropriate to mention.

As for getting a copy of the complaint, simply write a letter to the ones who issued the letter telling you to get rid of your chickens and ask to receive a copy of any/all complaints, records or reports related to your property. Many places will not reveal the identity of some one who has filed a complaint.

I still like the idea of shooting the dog
roll.png
In a nut shell you can't just fire your weapon in the air just to shoot it in a residential zone, but you can shoot it to protect yourself, love ones and yoru property, the chickens are family/property.

That is solid in all states

Good luck on keeping the chickens
D.gif

I still like the idea of shooting the dog
roll.png
In a nut shell you can't just fire your weapon in the air just to shoot it in a residential zone, but you can shoot it to protect yourself, love ones and yoru property, the chickens are family/property.

That is solid in all states

Good luck on keeping the chickens
D.gif
It is often a legal DEFENSE to charges or in a court case, but does not guarantee that you will not be charged or that if you are brought to trial will be acquitted. If it is felt that you endangered others, chances are pretty good that you would go to trial. There is a big difference in protecting a chicken and protecting a human. Laws vary dramatically from one state to another, and the specific detains of each case do as well. And then there is still the issue of whether it is legal to shoot a dog harassing chickens in Michigan.

Lethal force to protect property is far from universal to all states.

Back
Top Bottom