We rocked the chicks world today.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AuntJamie, Mar 7, 2017.

1. AuntJamie

AuntJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    Today we held the chicks for funsies for the first time. It was the same dramatic, hilarious story for each chick. Pick one up, the reaction like "OH, DEAR GOD, IT'S GOING TO EAT ME! THIS IS THE END!!!" After a few seconds to tuck the feet and get settled, they all snuggled down for the head rubbing. Then were calm for the release, move on to the next one. Rinse and repeat. So much fun.
    As a side note, the one black sex link cockerel is noticably bigger than the other and acted very rooster-y, chasing the other around, dominating everything, blustering. At not even 2 wks I was a little surprised and put off by his behavior. I hope he's just having issues from being held and it doesn't get worse, or at least doesn't cause problems until he's big enough to go into the freezer. He ain't even a nugget right now.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Chicks are the best!![​IMG]I get my chicks in one more month.

3. AuntJamie

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    We got our chicks pretty early, I think, but we got them from TSC and Rural King and it's so unpredictable the breeds and numbers. We took what we could get when we could get them and it seems to be working out pretty good so far. We have 13 RIR, 4 Black Australorps, 4 NHR, 2 Cuckoo Marans and 2 Black Sex Links. The majority are pullets but for the BSL which are definitely cockerels, and the New Hampshire Reds are straight run so there's a little mystery element to our foray.
    They're so cute but I can't wait for them to get bigger and into that coop!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    we need pictures - chicken law holds , "if we don't see photos, it never happened!"

5. AuntJamie

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    I'll try to post pics today. It's probably a good idea to hold them often anyway...Or that's what I'll tell myself as an excuse because it's just so darn fun!

6. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Haha, chickens are funky animals! I like 'm!

7. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I love chicks!

8. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I hope to have a small hatchery someday!

9. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

10. AuntJamie

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I probably don't need to tell y'all this but the one is an RIR pullet, the blonde is a NHR. Particularly fond of the camera it seems. Sorry for the poor quality. The lighting was bad and I took the pics myself. I only took pics of the two because they were all eating plus there's 25 of them...Maybe more later.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by