We saw a fisher cat 3 mi from our house...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sparkles2307, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

...my question is, do they have a large enough territory that I need to worry about my chooks?

2. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Yes. That is very strange that you even saw it. But yes I would assume your place is within its area. If not, then there is another. I have a cocker spaniel I dont let out at night without supervision due to fisher cats.

3. sparkles2307

It was at like, 5pm last night, broad daylight, running to the ditch across a soybean field... we trapped it in the culvert and DH was going to run home to get the shotgun but we didnt know if we would get in trouble or not. I guess I'll have to start locking things up at night and find a way to predator proof the duck pen now...dangit!

4. sally4500

sally4500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    We have had 2 flocks killed by fisher cats DURING THE DAY. We live in southern NH. They are VERY smart. Make sure your coop is extremely predator proof. I thought mine was, and the %#[email protected]&*&%$ came up the side of the building, into the eaves, and down into a room next to the coop. It found a small hole in the floor (mouse size) and got it's slimy little hand through it. I don't have to tell you the rest.

We did not have chickens for 8 years after that. I did not want my kids to go through it again, and the dog was almost attacked as he tried to protect his family.

We now have 6 week old babies and they are in their run when we are not home. I put up 12 gauge wire fencing over the top of the run. It also has wire under the dirt floor that attaches to the sides and goes up 7ft to the top. My husband says an army couldn't get through it. No messing around this time!!

5. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Fisher cats are mostly active at dawn and dusk. Daytime activity is not normal for them, but I have to admit the one and only time I ever saw one was around 9am during the summer. That is horrible about your chickens. As I live in NH too, they and raccoons are my biggest worry. I will have to keep an eye out for holes and any places they can sneak into. They are vicious too.

Good luck with your new flock!

6. sparkles2307

Well if I catch it in my yard it will be shoot first, ask DNR for forgiveness later!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by