We slaughtered our first chicken.....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Lark Rise, May 9, 2011.

1. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    OK, that was hard!

He was a mean, evil, Silver-Spangled Hamburg rooster, so decided it was time to say bye-bye to him. I realize now what we needed was a good pair of kitchen shears and a really, really, sharp knife. Trying to cut through his bones was almost impossible. We finally had to use our garden pruners. There was no fat on this bird and he was all muscle, not tender at all. His flesh is like the color of a plum. I have him in a crockpot now, so we'll see. I had the most difficult time with getting his innards out, too. I learned about the crop for the first time yesterday. [​IMG] And the size of those testicles! I was *not* expecting that!

I'm raising some Marans for meat. I sure hope they are good meat birds! I have a Black Copper Marans rooster and hen, and 2 golden Cuckoo Marans hens. The Cuckoo Marans are growing at a much slower rate than the Black Coppers. Do you know which of the Marans are best for meat. There is a lady close by me who sells Silver Cuckoos. I wonder if they grow faster.

I hope I have the stomach to do it again. I could not eat dinner yesterday. Tell me it gets easier.

2. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    It gets easier. if the birds are older, the meat is tougher, but it taste better. We have a saying "the old chick makes the best soup" and it's true. You will get used with the smell of the innards too. Just be careful do not break them before you get them out. And don't throw out the liver and the testicles. they are delicacy [​IMG]

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Stew maybe?

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    It does get easier. Plus once you sgtart learning out to do it the gutting is much easier and goes quicker.

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:congrats! you did know to let the bird "rest" in the fridge for a few days though, right? If you cook it the same day you kill it, there is no method that works well to completely tenderize it...think rigor mortis...

6. Lark Rise

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:congrats! you did know to let the bird "rest" in the fridge for a few days though, right? If you cook it the same day you kill it, there is no method that works well to completely tenderize it...think rigor mortis...

I left him in the fridge overnight only. He's in the crockpot now and smells amazing! I don't have any hope that he'll be tender. [​IMG]

7. Lark Rise

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    Quote:I'm not ready for that yet....so I did throw them all away. [​IMG] Baby steps here.

8. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I soak mine in a buttermilk brine for a day or so, it helps to lossen up the meat. It works much better then a water or -I hate to say it- a beer based brine. look it up on Google for a recipe.

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Congrats on your first bird! It does get easier as you do it more and your skill level goes up.

10. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    Quote:I'm not ready for that yet....so I did throw them all away. [​IMG] Baby steps here.

[​IMG] i was just teasing you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by