We sold some eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Feb 14, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We just had a neighbor come by and insist on paying for the eggs!! He said his wife said he had to pay for them and apparently DH told him a few weeks ago that we were thinking of asking $3 a dozen!! WooHOO! [​IMG]

And - better still we made another connection to sell more!

Lay those eggs girls!! lay those eggs!!
    [​IMG]

2. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Congratulations!!!

3. weloveourchicks

weloveourchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    That's awsome! I've been thinking about doing the same; I haven't bought eggs at the store for so long I don't know what they are going for around here.

4. papagoose

papagoose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Way to go!!!

My DW lets me sell her eggs at my job. I am getting $2.00/dz. but we were discussing raising our price to $2.50. The local market is selling brown cage free, free range eggs for $3.69/dz. Most of the people I work with buy the white mass market eggs at the stores for $1.69 to $1.89 but they would rather buy from me and get fresh eggs from happy chickens!

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I've been selling my freerange, organic fresh eggs for $2 doz., and every week I still end up giving some away or scrambling them for the inside birds & to feed back to the chickens. The 20 hens are producing at least 18 a day, and when I had one more hen, there was a day when there were 25 eggs in the box and I'd gathered that last ones in when I did bed check the night before. Some of our girls are like their mama -- none of that gettin' stuff done early, now... let's just relax in the morning and get down to business in the afternoon! [​IMG]

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I wish my would lay in a nice orderly fashion firs thing in the morning! They too dilly dally around all day, an egg here, a few hours later an egg there! I try to keep them in the run until they've all laid, but sometimes it is getting late and there is a still one hold out! So some days I lose one or two because heaven knows where they get laid! (Come easter it's gonna be "Girls whatever you do don't find the brown eggs!")

As for prices, around here you can get factory farm white eggs for $1.69 to about $2.00, but free range organic eggs go for $4.25 at the local supermarket. So, we just said $3.00 and people said yes.... who knew?

We only have ten layers and we have been giving them away to the local food closet. They've been very happy to get them and we get to write them off as charitable donations.

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Yeah well done Sharon....keep it going!
    I started my egg delivery business two weeks ago and it's flying...yippee

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Congratulations - Isn't it a real rush? I still remember how excited I was when I sold that first carton for $2. You'd have thought it was a million.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by