We still have mites...😩😩

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
So I've treated all my bantams with ivermectin pour on twice in 7 day intervals. I weighed them and made sure they were getting the right dose. Bedding has been removed from the coop and burnt. Coop and all accessories have been sprayed down twice with extra concentrated permethrin.

I check one of my birds today and still see mites.......we are due to treat a 3rd time on Sunday. What am I doing wrong???? The amount of mites has definitely decreased dramatically but they are still there.

Please help!!!

P.s. it's only a certain few that still have them.

So I've treated all my bantams with ivermectin pour on twice in 7 day intervals. I weighed them and made sure they were getting the right dose. Bedding has been removed from the coop and burnt. Coop and all accessories have been sprayed down twice with extra concentrated permethrin.

I check one of my birds today and still see mites.......we are due to treat a 3rd time on Sunday. What am I doing wrong???? The amount of mites has definitely decreased dramatically but they are still there.

Please help!!!

P.s. it's only a certain few that still have them.
It seems like you are very much going in the right direct. Stay the course and do a third treatment and even a fourth if required.
When you spray the coop down after the clean out are you really paying close attention to any place where wood meets wood where the mites like to hide and lay eggs? I would spend lots of time on the next coop spray down to make sure you are concentrating your efforts in those locations.
For the next treatment of the birds, switch over to spraying them with diluted Permethrin. Spray under each wing, under the vent through the fluff, on the chest and under the hackles at the top of the back getting to the skin at location.

It seems like you are very much going in the right direct. Stay the course and do a third treatment and even a fourth if required.
When you spray the coop down after the clean out are you really paying close attention to any place where wood meets wood where the mites like to hide and lay eggs? I would spend lots of time on the next coop spray down to make sure you are concentrating your efforts in those locations.
For the next treatment of the birds, switch over to spraying them with diluted Permethrin. Spray under each wing, under the vent through the fluff, on the chest and under the hackles at the top of the back getting to the skin at location.
Good to know I'm doing something right! Lol yes, I am spraying every nook and cranny until it drips. We even burned the inside of the coop with a weed burner the first time. I will treat Sunday with the permethrin as you suggested.

The mites seem to be concentrated in my crested birds.

Hello, all! I know this forum is for chickens, but I'm hoping treatment for pigeons is essentially the same. If my pet bird (a rock pigeon) spends time around a flock of untreated birds every morning and is therefore exposed to new mites daily, would Ivermectin drops onto the skin still help keep mites from surviving on him? How often may I repeat the treatment considering his unusual case of spending time with a wild untreated flock every morning but sleeping indoors with me every night? Would treating once a week be too much or cause overdose? Also, if Ivermectin essentially kills mites by remaining in the bloodstream and paralyzing the mites when they bite the bird, why is it recommended to repeat treatment shortly after the first dose? Does it not stay in the system and continue to kill blood-suckling mites for longer than 1-2 weeks at a time?

Back
Top Bottom