We "stole" the eggs from our broody hen! - *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4boysmom, Apr 21, 2008.

1. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Yesterday was day 21 on the 1st 2 eggs under one of our hens. The way our coop is right now ( we only had 4 chickens ), there is no way to separate her from the Big ole roosters & the other hen. We tried putting her in a box with a piece of hardware cloth ( very strong stuff ), but the other chickens were sitting on top & pooping down onto the hen. So we decided to crank up the incubator & bring the eggs in.

When I moved her to the box, there were 7 eggs......when I went back, there were only 6 so I started looking around & could see pieces of one.....over in the edge of the straw/shavings lay the little chick with it's face down. I took the eggs up to the house, put them in the incubator, told dh to keep my oldest son busy ( very tenderhearted kid ) and ran back down to the coop to "take care" of the dead chick.

DS # 2 comes up & says that he can get Caspiana off the nest & I try to get him to go on up to the house. I finally told him that a chick had hatched & died and that I needed to take care of it. He still wanted to help me. We pulled the nest box out and decided to make sure the chick was dead. Kinda wiggled it around & saw it take a breath. RAN it up to the house & "threw" it in the incubator. I told the boys not to hope for much because it wasn't moving & was barely breathing. Well, it must have JUST hatched because within a couple of hours it was up & moving around great.

One more hatched during the night, but since the other hen kept laying eggs in the nest for a few days, we still have 5 that will probably take their time hatching. A couple are rolling around a little & I hear a little peeping!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG] GREAT SAVE

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What a great ending to your story! Congrats on your chicks!

4. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Well, one week later, 6 of the 7 have hatched.

The eggs were laid on successive days by the other hen. I was planning on tossing them yesterday ( Sat), but didn't have a chance, so I just left the bator running.

Went through the house to get things going this morning & glanced in at the 2 eggs remaining....there was only 1....and a little chick over in the corner.....I'm really glad we didn't toss them yesterday ( I didn't see movement when I candled ).

We're leaving that last one another day just in case, but we'll probably toss it tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by