We think a possum killed our chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Maryallison, May 8, 2009.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I am so sad. We have had chickens over a year now and this is our 1st attack. [​IMG] I am just heart broken. "Something" killed my bantam and my frizzle is just gone. I am just devestated. The chicken wire was pulled back and feathers were everywhere. My bantam was not eaten, just killed. We used big sheets of metal roofing for the fencing around the coop area and then the coop was just made out of chicken wire. I am really worried that whatever did this may come back tonight!!!!!!!! What do I do? I have a rabbit barn with walls that are 6 foot tall. Can a possum climb a straight wall like that till we can redo the coop? I am just soooooo worried.

Thanks...

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Oh dear, I'm so sorry for your loss! This sounds more like the work of a raccoon, I don't think opossums are that ambitious to pull back wire. Whatever it was, I'd set some live traps and keep the chickens in the safest place you can find. I wish you success in your hunt & safety for your chickens!

3. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Oh & that was Autum in the picture with me. She was so pretty. Prettiest frizzle ever! [​IMG]

4. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I live way out in the country & I have actually never seen a raccoon. Now we have seen quite a few possom. I am hoping possom are dumb & won't remember where my coop is. I am thinking of taking my flock to the rabbit barn tonight though.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    That's Murphy's Law of Chicken Depredation: Your favorite ones get taken first. It's always so hard to bear.

I'm in western West Palm Beach, where is Fountain, FL?

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Look for a raccoon for sure. Get a trap to trap him and dispatch him. Keep the chickens up safely until you catch the varmit.

I am so sorry for your losses.

7. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I am up here in the panhandle of Florida by Panama City...well 30 miles north of Panama City.

DH says the chicken wire was just pushed back...he is going to do some improvements after dinner. He is going to hammer 2x4s at the base of the fenceline so it is secure. I hope everything is ok after this. I will move the flock if I need too.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  9. LoveMySiouxsie87

LoveMySiouxsie87 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    I'm really really sorry.
    I've had 4 hens killed by a raccoon, and 2 others were attacked by one. I found them covered in blood and barely alive- one of them's skull was showing, but the two survived and are happy and healthy now.
    I know it was a raccoon because it bit their heads and because I've seen a giant raccoon in my backyard before the attack (and lovingly named him). If you haven't seen any raccoons though...maybe its something else. I say hide the hens somewhere, put out a trap and keep a look out in the wee hours of the night when predators come out.

10. countrypreacher

countrypreacher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Powdersville, SC
    If it killed one and took the other one off I would say a fox or a bobcat....Usually a raccoon will not carry antyhing off. A fox will take things back to thier den and a bobcat will take thiers in a tree...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by