We think Rhode Island Red, but no idea on gender... 4 months old

I also have quite a few Rhode Island Reds and I have a roo that is about 5 months old. He has the most awesome dark almost black color. I have been finding out that he is rather aggressive. I do not want to carry these traits forward to the next generation as well, but I also would love to pass on his color to the offspring. I am torn on whether I should keep him of send him to freezer camp. Good luck with all the males you have....

I also have quite a few Rhode Island Reds and I have a roo that is about 5 months old. He has the most awesome dark almost black color. I have been finding out that he is rather aggressive. I do not want to carry these traits forward to the next generation as well, but I also would love to pass on his color to the offspring. I am torn on whether I should keep him of send him to freezer camp. Good luck with all the males you have....
Whilst we are absolute novices, I would say the behavior and sentiment of both birds is exceptional - both love to be held and do not show any aggression whatsoever. Is this because they are still young? Or perhaps because we have handled and cared for them since they were 7 days old?

Mixed breed. Looks like a slow developing cockerel. Very patchy color and what look to be male saddles.

Can you get better pics of the saddle area?

Whilst we are absolute novices, I would say the behavior and sentiment of both birds is exceptional - both love to be held and do not show any aggression whatsoever. Is this because they are still young? Or perhaps because we have handled and cared for them since they were 7 days old?
Yes. Handling them loads makes a huge difference. I always tell people that I spend an unnatural amount of time with my chickens, especially when they are babies. Crazy, but the vast majority of my girls always want to sit on me, so it pays off ;).

As for the boy, he may show aggression at around 5 months old. Don't let him push you around. I had a RIR roo who decided to come at me around that age, so I approached the coop the next morning and barged in, charging him and picking him up. I fixed that aggression really fast doing that - letting him know I was the dominant roo.

But not all roos are the same. I've had many and only once had a truly aggressive one (hand raised from about 2 weeks old and still tried to attack me while I would hold him as an adult). You might luck out and your boy may remain relatively docile, but once those hormones kick in, he may start testing you. Just keep reminding him who's boss and hopefully that will do it for you :).

Back
Top Bottom