1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We think that this is a Dutch bantam

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pokemonfan, Aug 21, 2013.

1. pokemonfan

pokemonfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This dutch bantam got thrown over our fence last week, she is fine but i just want to confirm she's female as she crows and often jumps on other chickens backs as a cockerel would

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Looks like a rooster, and dutch bantams have white ear lobes. Other than telling you its a him and not a dutch, I can't tell you anything else sorry.

3. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Looks like a cockeral acts like a cockeral probably is a cockeral to me

4. pokemonfan

Aug 19, 2013
    What breed is he?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That is definitely a cockerel, and it is not a Dutch Bantam. Dutch Bantams have white earlobes and slate colored legs. He might be an Old English Game bird cross, or a mix of other breeds.

6. pokemonfan

Aug 19, 2013
    I thought roosters had spurs, this doesn't have spurs. If it has no spurs how do you know its male?

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It might be too young to have spurs, or may just not grow them. I know that it is a male because of the large, red comb and wattles, long, thick legs, long tail feathers, and pointy hackles and what look like saddle feathers (though I can't see them too well in this picture). This bird is 100% a male.

8. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    He looks to young to have spurs yet, and some hens can get spurs too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by