We think we have a rooster, but he's still not crowing!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brieface, Aug 6, 2013.

1. brieface

brieface New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Hello, I live in Oakland, CA and we aren't allowed to have roosters. Some quick background: we recently built our chicken coop out of an old swingset using only found and recycled materials (I'll post a picture soon in the appropriate board). A very cool eco-friendly project. But this is our first go raising chickens!

Anyways, we have 5 chickens and at least 2 of them are laying already (I suspect the Rhode Island whites).

But we strongly suspect that one of our chickens is a rooster (I'm not sure of the breed, I sorta just grabbed whichever ones from the chicken store). The confusing part is they are all about 4 1/2 months old and I haven't heard any crowing coming from our backyard :( Shouldn't I have heard something by now?

What is going on here, and do we have a rooster that is just a late bloomer? (and more importantly, anyone in the Bay Area who wants a handsome fellow if he does turn out to be a boy?)

T-Rex (the one we think is the rooster) is the brown one (our other chickens are: Nugget, Benedict, Olivia, and Spare).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brieface

brieface New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
  3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    She is a female Easter Egger. She looks close to laying give her a few more weeks.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    hen

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You have an Easter Egger pullet.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger pullet. Pretty bird! I have one that looks almost exactly like that. [​IMG]

7. brieface

brieface New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Thank you everyone! I'm so relieved! It was the lanky body and pointy tail that made us so sure she was a he. And her body type is so different than the others. We were stressed because T Rex is our favorite, but it looks like we have all girls then :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by