We thought raising labs was fun!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Melnurse, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Melnurse

Melnurse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    Washington
    Hi to all,
    We were thrilled to find the BackYard Chickens website and forum since we are very, very new to chicken raising. My husband bought me a book on raising chickens and we've talked about it and researching it ad nauseum for the last 13 months and we finally took the plunge last Saturday. James, my husband, wanted to build the coop, but it became the reason why we kept delaying getting the actual chicks (because we had no home for them), so we just decided to start out with a pre-made coop that we can later expand upon if needed. The coop is up and in the garage for now since it's too cold to place the chicks out in the cold weather (we're in Washington State) and the four chicks (2 Orpingtons, 1 Americauna and 1 Wyandot) are in the house in basement for now. We visit them often, give them little treats to help get used to our hands, and they seem to be thriving.

We purchased our chicks and our coop from Baxter Barns in Fall City and so far, the have been very helpful in answering all of our questions and providing us with all we need to get them on the road to egg production. One of the reasons we elected to raise chickens is because I don't at meat, but I miss eggs and my general rule of thumb is: "if I don't meet the chicken that laid 'em, I don't eat 'em". We did buy a dozen from Baxter Barns (thank you Cory, for throwing them in) and what a treat! Blue, brown, tan, green, spotty, etc. Yum.

We love this site and I'm still cruising around in it, so thank you for all you do!

Melanie and James

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Love your "rule of thumb"! I have never thought of it like that and I think I am going to start to use that around here! If you can't meet it, don't eat it!!!!! [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] what do the Labs think about the chickens?

6. Melnurse

Melnurse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    Washington
    Hi DD,
    Initially, we brought them in one at a time to look at them from about 3 feet away and get the initial excitement out of their system. Now, when we're visiting the chicks, we have a blanket laid down about 2 feet from the cage and that is their spot. They're fairly good dogs who have been exposed to lots of distractions (former guide dogs in training who did not make it) and so after about 10 minutes of that, they get bored and leave. That is what we are hoping for.
    We'll never trust them to be alone with the chickens, but we want to be able to diffuse the "newness" of it a little. I sure hope we're not setting our chickens up for a good romping run some day!
    Mel

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy your flock and the best of luck [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of our flock [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by