We want organic!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nikkelchick, Nov 19, 2014.

1. nikkelchick

nikkelchick New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    What should we be on the look out for...as far as feed? We have now had our RIR (5 hens) for a week and a half now. I know it may not be possible to go without buying feed again until spring/summer. With all the pesticides used on our foods and in the environment, what do you get without it costing an arm and a leg?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you decided to join us.

Personally I buy a commercial layer feed. If you study on poultry nutrition it does get quite complex to give them all the nutrition and vitamins in the right proportions.

You may get other opinions more suited to your expectations, but if you don't then try posting under feeding your flock.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

There are organic non gmo feeds out there. Manna Pro has a layer feed that is organic and non gmo. It is costly as any organic feed is going to be. Modesto is another organic feed. Most people do go with the basic commercial brand feeds. But with a small flock you can spoil them a bit with the good stuff. They will enjoy the feed much more than a commercial brand however. I have used the Manna Pro organic feed and my chickens ate it like it was candy!

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Be careful that what you feed you flock has all of their required nutritional needs. Commercial feeds are specially formulated to meet thoes nutritional needs. Sometimes chicken owners give their flock food that fails to meet those needs in an effort to save money, and instead, it ends up costing them in with long run with the loss of their chickens' health and vitality. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your feed.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

10. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC! I feed all organic commercial layer feed, organic fodder, and all the clover I can grow in my yard. I'm pretty much paying the "arm and leg" for the feed. While my children are eating the eggs, I figure it is worth it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by