we want to drain and preserve our first egg.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by backdoorchicken, Sep 12, 2009.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    can someone point me in the direction as to where i could find that kind of info?

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Carefully and gently poke holes in each end with a big pin or needle, sharp is good. Slowly enlarge the holes to a little bigger; insert a longer something inside to pierce the various membranes. Then gently blow the egg insides out into a bowl. If it doesn't come out, scramble the insides a bit more, or enlarge the holes a little bit. Once successful, rinse and dry.

I'd try it a few times on store bought eggs; I smashed a few getting enough to do ornaments.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If I want egg decoration, I dont blow mine out. I just set them in the container and let them dry out on their own for a year.

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Another idea that we ended up having to do since ours broke, was to make a little mosaic picture out of it. You can use a notecard or regular cardstock, trim it to the size you want, and just break the larger pieces into smaller pieces with your thumb. You can do like we did, and just make it a picture of an egg, or do a flower, chicken, or something else. Draw out a simple outline in pencil very lightly on the cardstock, and then fill it in with the egg. You can get the little wallet sized frames from the Dollar Store, or wherever. It's a definite conversation starter! We just used regular white glue to glue it on. Glue sticks would probably be easier! LOL!

Shelly

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I was originally blowing out the eggs I wanted to keep such as the first eggs, which were really, really tiny or the really pretty colored eggs or just the unusual eggs. It's very difficult to blow them out, especially the tiny ones. So I just started putting them somewhere to dry out on their own and it works great.

I did discover if they are in the sunshine, like in front of a window, they tend to lose their pretty colors and fade but if kept away from windows they dry beautifully. I too use them in decorations and bird nests and baskets and just add them fresh and let them dry on their own.

When they have dried they have a sort of magnetic-like bottom to them. When placed on a flat surface they will always sit in the position in which they were dried because the yolk has dried and acts like a weight - so put them in the position in which you would like to display them. I've never had one rot or smell and when/if they get broken it's all dried up inside.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

7. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Okay, I am going to be ignorant here. Please forgive me. Do the eggs smell? I have had an egg go bad on me. Oh my goodness, that was terrible. How do you keep the eggs from breaking and stinking or rotting at all? I might be missing something obvious here, so forgive my stupidity.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you can candle them to make sure there are no hairline cracks, fractures, cracks of any sort or very thin shells. Weed those out. Then you can put them in the egg carton and store them away. Do check on them once a month or two to make sure and they will dry. It will take time.

If they do break after drying, there is NO smell, just dried out yolk and no white membrane, it has already evaporated.

9. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Okay, thanks. [​IMG]

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Okay, I am going to be ignorant here. Please forgive me. Do the eggs smell? I have had an egg go bad on me. Oh my goodness, that was terrible. How do you keep the eggs from breaking and stinking or rotting at all? I might be missing something obvious here, so forgive my stupidity.

I just set mine in whatever decorative bowl, basket, display I want and let it dry in the open. I've never had one crack or smell or rot - they just naturally air dry and within a few months are all dried up.

I did have a dog knock a birds nest full of them off a table once and broke most of them but there was nothing inside but dried up remains. They are fun to play with after they dry because they will only stay in the position they dried in. So if they dried end up, they'll stay that way and look like "Weebles wabble but they don't fall down" when you try to lay them in a different position. Could make a fun toy for kids if you dried them end up and then painted them to look like little people or something fun cause they pop right back up since the dried "weight" is at the bottom and the rest is air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by