1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We were having a hard time selling eggs, so we incubated!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by My Little Sister's Farm, May 14, 2008.

1. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    We were having a hard time selling eggs, so we incubated!

My mom is a teacher so the electricity is free for us. We set 2 dozen and had a slew of people on CL jump at the chance to get the for $1 each. We figure it's $.75 more per egg selling them as chicks than we were getting for the eggs themselves.

I can't wait, due to demand we are hatching 6 dozen more. I've never hatched so many and can't wait...it's like x-mas all over again!!!

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Congrats!!! I am considering doing the same thing. There's nowhere around here to buy baby chicks anymore and the guy at the feed store is BEGGING me to raise some. Says they get tons of calls a day from people looking for them.

What kind of chickens do you have? Do you have a mix or all the same breed? We currently have a mix but I am considering getting Buff Orps and keeping them separated just to sell the chicks. What kind of incubator do you have and how do you get the word out about your chicks? Oh - Just dawned on me that CL must mean Craig's List?

Last edited: May 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by