We were told that they are Rhode Island Reds

JaneC

Hatching
Nov 22, 2016
Queensland, Australia
I don't think our new 5-6 week old Rhode Island Reds are actually Rhode Island Reds. We don't really mind as we were asked to take them at the conclusion of a school biology project, but I am curious. Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps they are Rhode Island Reds crossed with something?
Here's a photograph of 3/4 of them. The fourth is red and white.

welcome-byc.gif

Not Reds, for sure. But what they are......

they could be ISA browns. That would mean the red bird is female, the whites are male. But, the whites don't look male to me. Isa brown cockerels grow combs fast and big, and those look like pullets. Maybe some other Leghorn based hybrid, like an Amberlink or Tetra Tint. Or, the white birds could be white Leghorn pullets, but they don't seem to have much comb. And the Leghorns usually have bright yellow legs....you may have to repost again in a few weeks to get a better idea. Good news is, they all look female and should be great egg layers.

Most likely that they are from an Isa Brown to Isa Brown breeding. Which means they are just mixed breeds. A lot of people do not realize that Isa Browns aren't a breed, but a type of red sexlink. They are a crossbreed that can be sexed by coloring at hatching. That sexlinking only works for the first generation crosses. It does not carry on to further generations.
Good news is that the three pictured look female.

Back
Top Bottom