We were told we were "ar-you-canas"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rizq, Oct 21, 2008.

1. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]

I shouldn't laugh. We got them from our neighbor several months ago, traded for a pair of brahmas. I think they are just EE. My main question about them is what color are they? They are not mature yet, obviously. The pullet hasn't started to lay yet, unsure of exact age. I'd say they should be getting close to 4 months. They have recently decided to become VERY sweet puppy dog chickens and follow me around everywhere (he started because he can't stand to be far from her and just basically does what she does). They started pretty wild and flighty, but now beg to be petted and held. Of course, I am mostly just a treat dispenser [​IMG], but I LOVE these chickens!

This is Gypsy [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is her devoted boyfriend Rusty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have looked and looked for some chicken color reference to try to determine what you might call these colors, but can't really find anything.

All help is appreciated.

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    They are Easter Eggers and are not a standard color. They look like the could be a bit of a Blue Salmon like the Blue Salmon Faverolles.

Good Luck

ETA: The roo is the one that looks blue salmonish.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    They are EE color, of course! [​IMG]

That's one of the things I like about EEs. So many different colors!

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    yup... they're whatever you wanna call them [​IMG] Those aren't standard colors, so name away [​IMG] I like the red/blue one... very pretty colors!

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Beautiful rooster, I haven't seen that coloring on an EE male before. [​IMG]

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    They're blue breasted reds, aka blue partridge.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a black Ameraucana named Gypsy so I like the name. Your Gypsy is about the most beautiful Easter Egger I've ever seen. She's drop dead gorgeous! I have one named June that has blue in her plumage, but her base color is more wheaten than dark like yours. She's just a real beauty!!

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I loooove EEs- if you hatch their chicks, they are sooooo cute- it's the cheeks that does it [​IMG]
    Here's Charlotte, she's an EE we rescued from death-by-pasty-butt-and-RSS at a feed store. She was the first of our EEs to lay. As you can see, they come in all sorts of pretty colors! As for our other 2, Lillith is a birchen sort of color and Fatima looks a bit like your hen except she had more gold.
    Charlotte:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lillith:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, no recent pics.

Fatima:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not even any vaugely recent pics.

Former hen Penelope (Penny):
    [​IMG]

One trait EEs SHOULD have (hence the name Easter Egger) is blue eggs. Shar-Shar is lacking in this category, here's her egg. WHITE! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the other hand, here's one Penelope's eggs:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the total pic overload, I just [​IMG] EEs!

9. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    One of our banties lays a yellowish tan egg. The rest lay a greenish blue. I can't wait to see what Gypsy lays [​IMG] I can't wait to stick some in the bator!

*Hi, my name is Becki, and I am a chick-a-holic*

10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    They are very pretty birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by