We will be getting chickens this summer but I also want some ducks.

Augustus

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2019
Western Kentucky
I know that they have to be brooded differently until the chicks are almost as big as the ducks. I will either be building a coop or buying one. Probably building though. My question is do ducks have to have something to swim in? I would like to put a baby pool in there for them to swim in but I don't know if the chickens will try to swim and drown or not. We are wanting chickens for eggs, what breed would yall recommend having the most eggs. I am looking at Sex-links and Sussex are they good egg layers? I also need a breed to lay white eggs, for some reason my dad won't eat the brown ones.

Chickens and ducks may or may not get along, especially if confined to a smaller area. Be prepared to house them separate if needed at some point. If you want eggs, runners and khaki campbells are good layers as far as ducks go and will be close in weight/size to your chickens.

A kiddie pool can be sufficient for ducks to clean off and preen, however it will be half empty in less than 24 hours, all that water has to go somewhere, which means it's in your run.

When they get bigger, I plan on letting them run around the yard during the day and putting them up at night. The pool would be outside of the run. I'm thinking of getting a Khaki Campbell and naming it Duck Norris and a Pekin and naming it Aflac. I was thinking more of eggs from chickens, I have never had duck eggs, do they taste different from chicken eggs?

I have both chickens and ducks together in 1 run. They both have separate houses. There is a 2 ft deep pool that is level to the ground at one side, I have not lost a chicken yet.
(I do worry every time I introduce new chickens) Make sure you have a large run or you will end up with a large muddy mess. I love watching my ducks. I agree Danish Leghorns are great layers.

A pekin will be 3 times the size of your chickens, if they don't get along, there is greater potential for injury, especially if the pekin is a drake.

If they eat the same food, chicken eggs and duck eggs taste similar. My husband and I prefer the duck eggs. In general there is more yolk and less white in a duck egg as well.

You mention running around the yard, I don't know how big this space is and what your containment will be, but a KC will be able to fly up and over a fence the same way your chickens could.

The number of birds you have will determine how much space you need. The square footage is the same whether it's one or two coops, or a coop with a divider. It will just take some brainstorming and advance planning to figure out what will work best for you.

Back
Top Bottom