1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We would like to add a couple chinchillas to our family

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by fdnick, Jan 19, 2008.

1. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    any for sale in or around the spokane, wa. area?
    Thanks..
    Denna

2. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Never try to catch a ricocheting chinchilla....and they can do this! [​IMG] sorry I dont know where to buy them in wa. Maybe an indepedent pet store?

3. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    HAHA.. a ricocheting chin sounds like a blast... We posted on our local craiglist already have 4 hits [​IMG]
    Denna

4. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Morning Denna,
    Maybe check your Craigslist. Ours is always full of them for sale. Good luck.

C

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I saw some in the Fayetteville, NC craigslist about 4 days ago, maybe they could be shipped? [​IMG]

6. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Jessica is getting a chinie in a few weeks. We took a long time and found a breeder and we are waiting for her baby to be ready. He is a reverse mosaic and he has a white heart near his tail so we are going to name him Valentino. I'll let her post pics when she gets home tomorrow.

I don't know how much you know about chins, but some of the things we have learned is that the females spray and they have a deadly accuracey, usually your face.... no kidding. Males are much preferred, unless of course you want to breed.

And once unsocialized they are near to impossible to resocialize. So getting a very young one, they can leave mommy at 8 weeks, is a much better idea so they can grow up with you.

Anyway, good luck finding your chin. Can't wait to see pics of it!!

7. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    Thanks Jeaucamom for the tips.. we did not know about the spraying.. no we do not want to breed.. looking for just buddies:p

I will try to do some reading up this weekend..
    Denna

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    agree...get them young or else adopt a single (socialized) one (pairs are often not as social as single ones)...
    I had mine for seven years and they are wonderful pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by