We wre given a duck today and I have no idea what it is.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RichnSteph, Dec 26, 2014.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Chicken math includes ducks? Yup.

We were given the duck in the picture below and I have no idea what it is. We were told it's a female and I'd like to get it a mate of the same breed. It doesn't *quack* it more like *peeps*.

Do any of you know what kind it is? I typed in "duck breed" in a google image search and came up with thousands of pictures of ducks that are not like this one at all.

[​IMG]

RichnSteph

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It looks like a Whistling duck or tree duck - search 'whistling duck'.

1 person likes this.
  3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Where are you located? That is not a domestic duck in the US and I have no idea. Very cute! Since I don't know what kind of duck it is I don't know if "quack" and "rasp" apply here. She is very pretty! You really should think of getting your duck a partner sooner rather than later because they really do need a companion. I would love to see a close up.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  4. RichnSteph

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Thanks! I looked and it seems that she looks most like a Black Bellied Whistling Duck. They are native to Mexicoand winter in southern Texas. Now to find her a companion.

RichnSteph

5. RichnSteph

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    We're a little south of San Antonio in Adkins. What I've found out so far is that they are native to Mexico and sometimes winter here in Texas along the southern coastline. We'll start looking for a mate for her this weekend. Of note here is that they feed at night so we're going to have to make an access for her from the permanent chicken run (in the picture she's in a little area quarantined off so that the other chickens can see them for a couple of days to get used to them) so that she can get out to the 750 gallon water tank I'm sinking into the ground tomorrow. Thanks for the help and I'll see if we can get a better picture of her this weekend.

RichnSteph

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    She looks young. Very pretty duck. She should be just fine with your chickens, she will begin to think of herself as part of their group. A drake can potentially injure your chickens, so unless you are really wanting to breed, I would just avoid that.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes, Black-bellied whistling duck and they are native to Texas, Florida, and parts of Arizona. Since they are a wild duck, they are excellent flyers and she may end up flying away to meet her wild cousins.

There was someone here on BYC who breeds them, but I'm not sure if they're here anymore. I think you might also want to see about getting paperwork and permits if you plan to keep any permanently since they're native birds. There might also be banding, tagging, and housing rules.

8. RichnSteph

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    She is very young, close to 10 months. The people we got her from, along with 3 more chickens, raised her in with the hens so she already pals around with them. We actually just received a phone call from the previous owners saying that they felt bad that Dumpling (the ducks name) was a lone duck in a sea of hens and they've offered to give us the other duck they have as a companion. So...... now we're getting a black peking (spelling) duck as well. It'll be a dang zoo around here by this time next year.

RichnSteph

9. RichnSteph

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Her wing has been clipped already so there's no long distance flying in her future. Permits? Oh heck we never even thought of that. I'll start looking into the rest that you mentioned to be sure we're in compliance out here.

RichnSteph

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Hopefully, the previous owners have some documentation for you if you need it. I think the black Pekin is probably a cayuga, which is a domestic mallard, so he will be a little different. They might like each other, we shall see, especially if it's only one other duck. Whistling ducks like to form pair bonds.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by