Weak 4 week old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kieh12, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Kieh12

Kieh12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    I have a 4 week old silkie chick. This morning it wasn't as active as the others so I took it out and put it in a separate brooder. My thoughts were that it somehow got chilled, or wasn't getting enough food, so a separate brooder with it's own feed and water. But it wouldn't eat or drink. I dipped it's beak and it would drink some then, but nothing on it's own. I've had problems with this chick before (on days 3, 4, 5) for the same reason, however, after a few hours it would always perk up and I haven't had any problems with it since. This time it is not perking up and moving around. It has been in a seperate brooder for 8hrs now. Also, it's keeping it's head/neck curled down. I added vitamins + electrolytes to its water. I plan on making a hard boiled egg and mashing it into its food (my birds love hard boiled egg), but was at work until now.
    I will say it is small. About 1/2-3/4 the size of my other silkie chick. But it was smaller from the start, so I didn't really attribute it to any lack of nutrition, etc.

This is my 3rd year raising chicks.None of my other chicks this year have had any problems. Chicks are from Townline Hatchery. Chicks are fed Nutrena NatureWise Chick Starter Grower (Non-Medicated)

Any advice?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    No helpful advice. Some chicks aren't formed correctly. They usually pass in the first week or two. Since you have had repeated problems with it I would assume something is wrong internally, something like improperly formed liver or kidneys and toxins are building up, but obviously it's just my theory. Not every chick makes it unfortunately.

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Agree with oldhen - though might try a drop of poultry nutri-drench into the beak to see what happens.

4. Kieh12

Kieh12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    Thanks for the responses. The chick got even weaker and I put her down. Hard to do, but it's nice to have reassurance that it wasn't caretaker error on my part.

5. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    So sorry to hear- but glad you didn't let her suffer when it was clear she wasn't going to bounce back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by