Weak and Fragile Baby Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickieBabyMama, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ChickieBabyMama

ChickieBabyMama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Mid West
    I have a 3 day old baby Sebright. The baby is so small and is half the size of the rest of the babies. She is weak and sleeps a lot. It scares me that when she's like this, she will not eat/drink on her own. I give her water and egg whites and has access to Chick Starter food. She perks up for a while and all is well, then she slips back. Suggestions needed and appreciated. I'm new to raising chicks.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you want to have a chance at keeping her alive, you're going to have to work at it. I ordered chicks from a hatchery and received one that was half the size of the others and lethargic when I opened the box. I fed her some started mixed really wet with a dropper a few times the first day I had her and she perked up. So, I thought she was good to feed herself. Woke up the next morning to find her lethargic again. I ended up syringe feeding her every hour and a half to two hours for almost a week. I'm home all day, so had time to do it. She did eventually become strong enough to feed herself, but it was ALOT of work. If you dont have that kind of time to dedicate to your chick, the kindest thing may be to cull her so she doesn't starve. Good luck.
    Nikki

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    My usual chick-rescue is Pedialyte instead of water, Poly-V-Sol (without Iron), and egg yolk...forget the whites - they don't have as many nutrients. You can drip some of the Poly-V-Sol on its beak and it should swallow...if it is very weak and not eating at all, it is easiest to jab its beak in some raw egg yolk instead of cooking it. Make sure she is a little extra warm and keep her bottom clean.

4. ChickieBabyMama

Feb 13, 2013
    Mid West
    Oh thank you both! This is great! Perfect. Yes, I have the time and I want her to survive this. She is worth it. @Nikki, I was doing the same thing thinking she could do it on her own...now I know better.So glad she made it. @Panth, I'm gonna go get a dropper and some Ped.

I am so glad I joined BYC!

5. ChickieBabyMama

Feb 13, 2013
    Mid West
    [​IMG]

Update: Here is the baby Sebright. She made it....thanks to yall. Your advice really helped. She is here in this pic with her only roommate. She's getting so big!

1 person likes this.
  6. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    So glad she is doing well!

1 person likes this.
  7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I had a weak baby chick and I dipped he beak in warm water that had a little protein in it, egg yolk or fish, and I use a heated, not too hot, beanie bag. they need to be a little warmer, now she is running around normal.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickieBabyMama

Feb 13, 2013
    Mid West
    Thanks Panth!!!! [​IMG]

9. ChickieBabyMama

Feb 13, 2013
    Mid West
    @Gimmee Birdies. Alright! It feels so good doesn't it? Great ideas. I didnt think of a warm beenie. Huh...all she wanted was to snuggle in a dish towel and I tucked her in my shirt. We napped or did chores together. Now she has one Silkie roommate and I'm chopped liver. LOL! That's they way it should be. I do like your idea better tho. Gonna try that, IF that ever happens again.

Side Note: I lost a bunch of my chicks recently because we had an unexpected cold snap and they were unfortunately outside. NEVER doing that again. It was just aweful. I absolutely boo-hoo sobbed and cried. Now, all are staying the house as long as needed. I'm getting a bunch more Silkies and Cochins next week. Somebody please stop me....I'm going crazy buying chicks! It's out of control. LOL!!!!!!!! JK. Too much fun [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. ChickieBabyMama

Feb 13, 2013
    Mid West
    I wanted to share another update. I can't seem to shake this image out of my head. Tiny cracks me up!

Tiny has one roomated and it's a Silkie. They are good friends. Tiny is so small, compared.
    I decided to take one of the new baby chicks, (an Orpington) and compare it in size to Tiny....I never expected Tiny's reaction to
    the baby (which is twice as big as Tiny).

When I introduced the baby into the brooder, Tiny seemed ticked at the "intruder". When the innocent intruder went to snuggle up to
    Tiny and the roommate, Tiny approached the baby, pecked her and then to my surprise, started to Shuffle (or Spur) on the baby.

What? Tiny was so weak just 10 days ago. Now he/she wants to fight? I guess I can stop worrying about Tiny's health now. LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by