Weak and ill chicks! Proven Fatal, help!

BoxOChocolates

Hatching
Apr 19, 2018
So, we recently ordered 23 chicks from Meyer's Hatchery, half of which went to another family. These chicks are now three days old. Last night we noticed one of the chicks was not moving around too much, or eating or drinking. In the morning she was treated with sugar water in hopes to show some signs of recovery, she improved for an hour or so just before passing.

Two more chicks have the same symptoms, one seemingly very close to the condition of the Blue Cochin chick (the chick from this morning). While the other still has a bit of fire left, though is very lethargic, she will drink quite a bit of sugar water and seem to recover for a moment, but once placed back in the brooder she will just stand and watch as the other chicks race around her. Her condition is steadily decreasing as she is now laying down.

Both of the currently surviving chicks have been treated for pasty butt, and neither have it. The one in lesser condition is producing a yellowish mucus instead of poop, the healthier one is still normal as far as it can be seen at this point.

A quarantine is currently being set up in another room in case of a respiratory virus.
If anyone could give tips on how to treat them that would be wonderful and if you have any ideas of what this could be you could be a life saver.

Edit: Out of the two, the weaker died within the past few minutes, whereas the other one is drinking her sugar water, though is now alone in quarantine which could prove to be yet another issue.

Last edited:
Sorry your chicks are having some problems!
Do you have a vitamin\electrolyte in your water? Sometimes it's as simple as making sure they are well hydrated. Also, a poultry vitamin like nutridrench, given straight on the top of a finger with plain water afterwards is a good choice.
There are probably also some other questions to ask yourself:
How is the brooder temperature? How are you heading your brooder? What bedding materials are you using? Feed type?
A picture of your brooder set up would be awesome, too!
Again, I'm very sorry you're having to go through this.

So, we recently ordered 23 chicks from Meyer's Hatchery, half of which went to another family. These chicks are now three days old. Last night we noticed one of the chicks was not moving around too much, or eating or drinking. In the morning she was treated with sugar water in hopes to show some signs of recovery, she improved for an hour or so just before passing.

Two more chicks have the same symptoms, one seemingly very close to the condition of the Blue Cochin chick (the chick from this morning). While the other still has a bit of fire left, though is very lethargic, she will drink quite a bit of sugar water and seem to recover for a moment, but once placed back in the brooder she will just stand and watch as the other chicks race around her. Her condition is steadily decreasing as she is now laying down.

Both of the currently surviving chicks have been treated for pasty butt, and neither have it. The one in lesser condition is producing a yellowish mucus instead of poop, the healthier one is still normal as far as it can be seen at this point.

A quarantine is currently being set up in another room in case of a respiratory virus.
If anyone could give tips on how to treat them that would be wonderful and if you have any ideas of what this could be you could be a life saver.

Edit: Out of the two, the weaker died within the past few minutes, whereas the other one is drinking her sugar water, though is now alone in quarantine which could prove to be yet another issue.
I feel for you, same thing happened to me about a week ago and my chicks were from Meyers too, out of 8 chicks 5 of them died within a day and a half. I kind of think that my heat pack was not activated or something. It's just sad because you are expecting joy and instead you get heartbreak. Meyer Hatchery is really good about their customer service and you should inform them about your situation. They sent me out some new chicks although I was a bit hesitant:( To my utter joy, received my new chicks in about 24 hours, all healthy and watched them eat and drink for 2 straight hours out of the box! Sometimes if they are that weak at such a fragile time, they just can't make it no matter what you do unfortunately, sounds like you are doing the right thing by keeping them warm and separate so they don't get trompled and pecked by the healthy ones.

Back
Top Bottom