Weak and Leaky

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kristinms, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Kristinms

Kristinms New Egg

Mar 17, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I have six pullets (five months old) and they're my first little flock, so I have so much to learn. Despite my inexperience, my new neighbors just acquired four hens from a guy in town. I think she said they're a couple of years old and she has had them for about three weeks. They have yet to lay any eggs for her. This is her first time keeping chickens as well.

She texted me today and asked for my advice because she let them out to free range and one of them was so weak she needed to be lifted back into the coop. Again, I know so little, I don't know how to help! My neighbor is not at home and she asked that I go over to check on her hen. She is on the floor of the coop (the other three are roosting) and is very weak. I did pet her and she moved away from me, but not with much gusto. Her vent appears to be very wet/leaky. My first thought is that she's egg bound, but none of them have been laying. When I told my neighbor what I observed, she said she's been like that for two or three days.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. TracyLovesDucks

TracyLovesDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I probably won't be able to help, but I wanted to get a little more info for those that will be able to help.

What is leaking out? Is it poop, egg yolk, egg white, blood?

Can you advise her to take the chicken to a vet? It really doesn't sound good at all.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. Kristinms

Kristinms New Egg

Mar 17, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    It's poop that's leaking out in small amounts. She was getting home late last night, but we're lucky enough to live near Tufts Veterinary School, so she was going to give them a call. I'll check in on them once the sun is up. Thanks.

4. mypetchickens10

mypetchickens10 New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    My pullet is also leaking poop in small amounts but shes not eat she is just scratches around in
    dirt she is drinking alot of water and not even her favourite treats

5. mypetchickens10

mypetchickens10 New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    Mu pullet is fine now i think the solution about the paracetamol and sugar in water
    made her better or make she was just sad in da mlrning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by