Weak and lethargic chick 5 weeks old

ArkansasChickNewb

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2022
I got 2 silkie chicks on Wednesday. They are 5 weeks old. They have both been fine and normal. Up until this morning. Now we do have them under a heat lamp. We keep their food and water full and clean daily. The other silkie is perky and doing great. But this one. I went in there to chatter with them, as I do every morning, with all my fowl, and this one looked like they were sleeping. Neck stretched out, etc. However they were not reacting to my touch like they normally do. I then went to pick up and it gave little to no fight. It doesn't seek to be able to stand or lift its head. I got a syringe and have been giving droplets of water. It's breathing. And it's a tad bit more active, but not much at all. It won't eat or hold its self up. No other chicks are acting off and I didn't not notice any bloody, frothy, or abnormal droppings. I'm just not sure what is wrong or what to do, and I really want this baby to survive. I have it isolated and I am taking the baby under the heat lamp and out from under every hour. Trying not not jostle it too much to see if they just need some rest. Every couple hours I am giving water by drops because they won't take it other wise. And Idk how to try and get it food at this time. This was literally over night change and I'm puzzled.

Are there other chickens than these 2?What are you feeding? Is it hot there? Could the chick be too warm? Have you tried giving some electrolytes or sugar water? At this age, coccidiosis could be a problem. It causes lethargy, weakness, runny poops, and puffed up appearance. Corid (amprollium) is a treatment in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Stop vitamins while on Corid.

Every couple hours I am giving water by drops because they won't take it other wise. And Idk how to try and get it food at this time
Check for pasty butt and also crop condition for blockage.

5 week old chicks should be fully alert and don't "just need some rest" like a fresh shipped or hatched chick will. They are either suffering from indigestion (malnutrition) or coccidiosis.. or even something like salmonella, etc..

Off food and water is usually one or the other.. slow crop or coccidiosis..

and I didn't not notice any bloody, frothy, or abnormal droppings.
Most parasites (except large round worms) are only seen under microscope and not by the naked eye in droppings. Only 1 or 2 of the 9-11 known strains of coccidia that effect poultry will present as blood in droppings.

:fl

Back
Top Bottom