Weak and lethargic chick

ranchmomma4700

In the Brooder
May 9, 2019
I have a 3 week old Rhode Island Red who has been weak and sick for about a week. Her poop seemed really dark and tarry so I started her on Corid. Then she stopped eating and drinking and I started dropper feeding her chick mash mixed alternately with Corid water and then with Sav A Chick Electrolyte and Probiotic water. She sleeps most of the time, is not gaining weight and barely peeps. I do feel like she is sort of improving as she fights me a little more when I handle her to feed her. But, now she seems to be having a hard time breathing. I am very careful to only give a little water and food at a time. Tonight, she pecked at some crumble on her own when I held it up to her beak but very little. She is isolated from the other chicks. Am I prolonging her misery or should I just keep trying?

I’m so sorry about her. I’ve had lots of experience with sick chicks, and unfortunately they never make it. I think she will die soon, can you end her life humanely?

I’m so sorry about her. I’ve had lots of experience with sick chicks, and unfortunately they never make it. I think she will die soon, can you end her life humanely?
I certainly could. But, I feel like she is such a fighter! A whole week! Should I just double down on feeding tomorrow and see if she improves?

I certainly could. But, I feel like she is such a fighter! A whole week! Should I just double down on feeding tomorrow and see if she improves?
Yes, I think you should continue what you’re doing (give her help) and see how she goes in the next few days, if she doesn’t improve, you could do her a favour and end her sad little life. God bless her.

Yes, I think you should continue what you’re doing (give her help) and see how she goes in the next few days, if she doesn’t improve, you could do her a favour and end her sad little life. God bless her.
Thank you. We will be as kind to her as possible.

Back
Top Bottom