1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

weak baby - any suggestions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkie's Grandma, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    I had a Bantam Coachin hen hatch chicks on July 3rd. I generally do not bother the hens once they set to candle the eggs (unless they get up & explore for a min when I move the nest to the brooder area - she didn't so I didn't check the eggs) Then hen returned to the nest quite a bit with her 12 babies in tow. - On July 6th (3 days later) I removed the unhatched eggs & noticed that one tiny egg was pipped - I have no clue how long it was like that, I assumed it was long dead but chipped a tiny bit with a fingernail & saw the beak moving. I rushed it to the house & set up a brooder. 14 hours later it had not done anything more - so I helped it hatch by gently picking at the shell over a couple hours. Out hatched a baby Amherst Pheasant. It is now July 9th - the baby is weak & shows no interest in eating. I have been giving it humming bird mix nectar thinned down so it's not so strong & just plain water with a insulin syringe that has the end clipped off. (put a drop on my finger right next to it's beak-not forced) I have also tried cooked egg & raw egg yolk. (egg yolk seems to interest it a little)

Is there anything more I can do? The baby is a "fighter" or it wouldn't be here today - 3 days after a stressful hatch.

Note to self - Candle the eggs earlier...ya just NEVER know![​IMG]

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    You could try giving some AviaCharge2000 or PolyVisol children's vitamins or cod liver oil for some added nutrition. Try watering down the egg yolk with some of the vitamins. Yogurt may help with a little tumeric mixed in to help boost it's immune system.

I haven't ever helped hatch an egg that the hen has left behind, so don't know if any of this will help. But, it is a list of some of the things we've tried for shipped chicks that seem a bit dazed upon arrival or a weak hatchling.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    It sounds as if it is dehydrated. If this were me, and I've done it before, I would give electroytes immediately and polyvisol vitamins. It needs alot of nourishment right now to bring it back, it might just be too late. I feed a drop or two of electrolytes every 15 to 30 minutes and a drop of poly vi sol 3 times a day. If it will take more electrolytes, even better. I also continue dipping the beak in water/electrolytes to see if it will finally drink on its own. I have had very good luck with this method. Once hydrated, it will become more spunky.

I wish you and your baby the very best.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    We just had to do that with our cat for the last week. It saved his life. He fell out of a tree and cracked his noggin real good and wouldn't/couldn't eat drink on his own until today. The vet told us pedialyte saved him. I'm guessing it would work well for a baby chick. I have given mine the vitamins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by