Weak Call duck hatched

Rhiann24

Hatching
Apr 24, 2018
Hi there Iv hatched one baby call duckling (first time I have hatched ducklings) it’s been left in the incubator for 10 hours it looks very tired and only wakes up when I chirp at it. It has shuffled around the other eggs (which I don’t think are going to hatch). My question is when should I move it to the brooder - some have said 12 hours and others 24. I’m worried it needs to get out and have some water or space to try and get up.

Hi there Iv hatched one baby call duckling (first time I have hatched ducklings) it’s been left in the incubator for 10 hours it looks very tired and only wakes up when I chirp at it. It has shuffled around the other eggs (which I don’t think are going to hatch). My question is when should I move it to the brooder - some have said 12 hours and others 24. I’m worried it needs to get out and have some water or space to try and get up.

They tend to sleep a lot at first. If you’re concerned, go ahead and move him to the brooder. Get him to take a little water and show him the food.

Thank you - good to know they sleep a bit - iv only hatched chicks once before and they seemed to be on the go very quickly

Hello..Yes, move it to the Brooder and set up a mirror and a teddy..Put down paper towel for the first couple of days and then pine shavings.
Wet feed to a soupy mix so the Duckling can get hydrated and nourishment...Also Provide water and dry feed.
Don't force feed it though. Just peep to it and use your finger like a Mommas Bill to encourage it to eat...

thanks you iv just put a toy in great idea - I’ll try and get a friend too if non of the others hatch xx

I had a single baby-he’s a week older than everyone. I followed @chickens really advice, but mine still seemed cold, so I put a HotHand packet in a baggy of rice next to his stuffy and he snuggled with that like crazy.

8B6EA1E8-150C-496C-92DB-37D94918583B.jpeg
1783591B-BC5F-4811-B864-F9D2680DF755.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom