Weak chick hanging on by a thread..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by forgetful, Feb 27, 2014.

1. forgetful

forgetful Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Long story short I took in a bantam chick from tractor supply for free. They say it had been trampled on by the other bantams in a corner, and it was soaking wet, barely breathing, and too weak to stand. I took it home and wrapped it in a towel and placed it under a heat lamp while supervising it. It can't be more than a day or two old. Its legs look to be splayed, but it may simply be too weak. I mixed some save a chick up and gave it water through a dropper, and it came around enough to stand and peck at food, but not eat but a few kernels of chick starter after hours of coaxing.

At that point it was standing wobbly and chirping. I left it for the night figuring it would either pass or live, and it was still alive this morning, but back to step one- minus the soaking wet. It was lethargic, just laying there, eyes not open and hardly breathing. I'm now giving it more save a chick water through a syringe, and it will shake its head and open its eyes every now and then. It's been throwing its head back now and then, though it was slightly doing that last night. What can I do to help it? I feel like I'm only dragging out the suffering.

2. forgetful

forgetful Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    It passed. It just got weaker and weaker then quit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by