1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

weak chick, help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kari_dawn, Mar 9, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    My baby girl (a speckled sussex) was really weak when she arrived. Smaller than everyone else, her eyes wouldn't open. I gave her a couple of days to see how she was going to do. Her eyes opened, but she is now half the size of everyone else. I mixed up some egg yolk, a dab of yogurt, a few drops of honey, and some water to thin it down a little. I gave her a few drops with a dropper, and she aspirated. I tried to get the fluid out, but I can still hear the rhaspiness when she breaths. I started her on amoxicilin, but when I got home today, she was on her back. I thought she was dead.

I righted her, but she ended up on her back again. I gave her another dose of amoxi, and tried to give a little more egg mixture...what can I do to save her?!

2. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I took a towel and rolled it up and kindof created a cradle for her on top of a heating pad. She climbed out of it after a while, so I fed her some more of the egg mixture, which she loved (ate .4ccs) ^.^ but she can't really stand up well, and can't really walk well...she is very weak...

Her breathing is still rhaspy :(

Is there anything else I can do for her? Please help her :( I have never sucessfully saved a weak chick, so obviously, I need more guidance...Help? Please?

3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    :/ She died today :( I came home from work and she had flipped over on her back again...I guess she just couldn't get back up

4. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    I'm so sorry you lost this chick and that more of us didn't see it in time to step in and offer advice. You did the right things though. sometimes they just don't make it.

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Thanks :( I just hate loosing them though. I haven't ever been able to save one of the weak ones :/ She was very sweet...she would cry if she couldn't see or hear me, and make happy chick noises when I would pick her up...I feel especially bad because I had a fleeting thought about taking her to work with me to prevent her from tipping over backwards, as I already knew she couldn't right herself....

I feel like if she hadn't tipped backwards and been unable to get up, she would have still been alive...she lasted a lot longer than I thought she would :(

6. ck18

ck18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    don't feel so guilty I'm about 99% sure that didn't kill her because i talked to a employee at the farm store the other day and they said it was ok for a chick to be on its back that it wouldn't kill it. i think you did everything you could and pretty **** good job of trying to save it :)

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Thanks ck18, I appreciate that. At least my othe four are thriving and well socialized :/ but still! She was extra cuddly :(

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  8. ck18

ck18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    i understand i lost one last night and it was pretty hard on me you get attached really quick and their so **** cute but just like you i did everything i could and i just got keep telling myself that lol

9. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by