Weak chick, need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by azchickadee, Feb 1, 2008.

1. azchickadee

azchickadee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2007
    Sonoran Desert, AZ
    I picked up 3 new buff orpington chicks from the feed store today. They all seemed fine when I got them home around lunchtime today. Now for the last 2-3 hours one has been sleeping just about non-stop. It will not eat or drink and seems wobbly. It was eating and drinking at first. Someone in another post mentioned offering sugar water to new or weak chicks. Should I try this? What is the ratio? I'm worried [​IMG]

2. azchickadee

Oct 12, 2007
    Sonoran Desert, AZ
    Now it cannot stand and is constantly peeping.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can put a tbsp or two of sugar or honey in a quart waterer and if you have a syringe with no needle, dribble some beside it's beak to get it to drink. Dont leave the sugar water longer than a couple of days or they'll have diarrhea.

4. azchickadee

Oct 12, 2007
    Sonoran Desert, AZ
    When first drinking earlier today one of them may have aspirated. I noticed bubbles coming from its nose and mouth and it seemed to have difficulty breathing for a moment. Not sure if this is the same one but I'm assuming it is. Now it is laying on its side and is very weak. I gave it a few drops of sugar water, but I think it aspirated again. I feel horrible.

5. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    Ooo--I am so sorry. The only thing you can really do is keep it warm. This is so important. If you are trying to feed it or give it water and its body temp is low, it cannot digest. You must get it's body temp up first, then try to give it some sugar water. Do you have an incubator you can put him in over night? Maybe he caught a chill and it made his body temp drop enough to really stress him out.
    Unfortunately by handling it, that causes stress too. So you must resist the temptation to constantly touch it or pick it up.
    Good Luck. [​IMG]

6. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    My baby quail when they first hatch and take a drink do that. Keep him warm and let him sleep, he should pull through. Sleeping is the bodies way of healing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by