Weak chick (picture and video) ideas???

Do not give her any fat soluble human vitamins at this age. It is so easy to OD a baby on fat soluble vitamins without meaning to. Eggcessive's list of vitamins was pretty thorough. Use one of those. Salt is another thing you should avoid giving her.

As far as checking her spine and hips over- I like to do it in the dark when the chick is pretty non-responsive. Let her come to rest in your hand in a prone position with her legs dangling down. It may take a while to get her to completely relax. Run your fingers down her spine and feel for any curves or unusual bumps. Do her legs hang down evenly? Does she want to tuck either one up? Once you have felt her over thoroughly, try to move her legs through their full range of motion. Does any movement seem to bother her? Does she balk at allowing you to move the legs?

I think what you have going on is a slight hatch defect or a minor injury that is not going to cause her any issues as time passes, but it is good to be thorough. It is also good to know if a bird has some musculoskeletal issue going on so you can be aware of it for future considerations and/or treatment. She is going to need extra TLC to make sure she thrives if she has a problem this early in life.

She doesn't like to let her legs dangle, she tucks both up fairly fast.

I did feel down her spine and it felt straight as far as I could tell.

I have not seen her drinking water, but the mush I have been offering her is very liquid...I add a bunch of water to it...what are your thoughts there? She freaks out and struggles me when I dip her beak in water...and I don't want her to get hurt again...

Drinking water today that is....I've seen her drink before but I didn't notice her drinking today...

Update: the chick seems to prefer being in with the other chicks...and when I put one or two in with her, they are old enough and strong enough to fly/jump out now...which leaves her sad and alone....

For the past two days I have had her in with the whole flock and she seems happier.

I have seen her eat and drink from the main food source with the group, but she still avoids busy chaos and sleeps more then others.

I have been taking her and another (different each time) chick out for separate feeding of hard boiled egg and chick starter...just to make sure she's getting what she needs.

She seems to be doing well....just possibly runt or birth defect... over all I've seen her balancing on the edge of the feeders and bending down quite far to peck food off the ground from a higher position then the ground...so her legs work, just think she had to find her way...she's still careful and deliberate in her movement.

I'm curious to see if she can lay eggs? Or if there is a bone difference that might leave her egg bound? Time will tell...but for now she's doing good! :)

She is the brown one huddled up and on her friends.

A little extra TLC may see her through this early time. If she seems happy and keeps progressing, then keep doing what you are doing. I hope she continues to grow and thrive.

Good luck.

Update: "Katy" is doing well...she's a little nutty, has some quirky behaviors, like obsessively watches and drinks from the drip system dropper for the time it's on, she loves dripping water, so if there is a drizzle of water anywhere she runs to it and pecks until she gets dry ground, then moves on....she lays eggs and gets along with everyone just fine.

Back
Top Bottom