weak chick- will drink but not eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txcharlielynn, Jul 25, 2014.

1. txcharlielynn

txcharlielynn Hatching

Feb 4, 2013
    Texas
    My lil Faith hatched Monday,was shipped from Ohio to Texas and arrived Wednesday morning. At first she was fine, but then noticed Thursday evening she started acting strange: she could walk around but would keep her eyes closed then when she would try to preen she would fall over and couldn't get back up. Now she just lays on her side wont drink on her own but Im able to give her water with a medicine dropper. Have been unable to get much food into her though. In the last 2 days, she's eaten a couple crumbs of chick starter and a tiny bit of plain scrambled egg. Is there any type of "liquid feed" or some thing that could be given with a medicine dropper that will help her?

2. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chirping

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I take the medicated chick start and grow and add water to it to make it like soup and add in lots of sugar and spoon feed my week chicks, it takes time tis way but I have had 100% make it back. I also use warm sugar water in the water container.

3. txcharlielynn

txcharlielynn Hatching

Feb 4, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks I'll remember that for next time unfortunatly she didn't make it :( the others thankfully are doing great but definitely keeping a close watch on them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by