Weak chick worsening To cull or not to cull

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clkingtx, Jan 15, 2010.

1. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    I need some advice sorry my punctuation is bad some keys are not working on my keyboard
    I wanted to post this before rebooting and hopefully fixing this
    I have a chick that is about 8 days old or so and it has been acting really weak
    It will run and flap its wings but it is like it uses its wings to keep its balance
    It started this about two days ago and I put it in with the smaller chickens as I had two do the same and when i put them in with the weaker chickens where there was less competion for food and all they improved or recovered

This chick started rocking back on its rear now with its feet coming off the floor
    I was thinking it just needed less competition for food and stuff but now wonder if maybe there is something really wrong with it

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    The chick doesnt seem to be in any distress poop is normal but it is not eating and drinking much
    I noticed when I picked it up it was shivering i dont know if it is from fear or cold
    It sometimes will fall over when it tries to get up and run away

Please help I dont want to risk spreading disease to the others but i have someone who will take this chick and a companion if needed if it is just a weakness issue like if it is just a runty chick If it is diseased I want to get it away from all the others before someone else gets sick

Please help! Thank you
    Carrie

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Sometimes chicks just fail to thrive. There might be an underlying cause. I think if I were in your position I would cull. Sorry.

3. chicksrule1

chicksrule1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2009
    I think everyone deserves a chance. They can pull through sometimes, if you know the temps are right, and you can assist with food and water, i would give it a few more days at least and see if it gets it's strength.

4. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    I placed the chick along with a couple of friends with someone who has time to try to nurse it back to health.
    Thanks all for your help.

Carrie

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I would try baby poly-vi-sol vitamin drops (no iron). I would mix a couple drops in some water to dilute, and drop feed the chick every 4 hrs or so. If you don't see improvement in 24 hours, then I would cull. I have used vitamin drops and see changes very quickly in weak chicks.

6. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    Thank you, I gave the chick and two others to a friend who has time to give it lots of tlc.

Carrie

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I agree with the poster who said to try the poly-vi-sol without iron. I used it on a chick that seemed to be doing some of the same things yours is, and she improved and is a great layer now. It's worth a try, anyway. If you no longer have her, you might suggest this to the person you gave her to. Might give her a better chance at life.

8. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    I hope the chick pulls through, please let us know when you find out how it's doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by